• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1985 cherokee starting problems.

cb85xj

NAXJA Forum User
Last summer me and my brother swapped out the motor in our 85 when it blew up and put another 4cylinder back in, but after we get everything put back together it dosent want to turnover. so we got frustrated and let it sit over the winter but now we want to get it running and i would really appreciate it if anyone could give us some tips,info, or a wiring diagram that might be able to help us get it running.

Why isn't it turning over, does it make any sound at all? If not,

Start with checking the neutral safety switch tied in with the transmission linkage. Also check the igniton switch and the starter relay and wires next to the battery. If you search here there are some threads with photos on the starter relay as I recall. Also be sure and check the battery and batery wires since it has been sitting. Batteries usualy die internally (permanently) if left unused for more than a month.

Have you pulled the primary spark plug wire and set it close to a ground, then cranked it to check for a spark?

Back