• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What size wrench for driveshaft?

Dave Meyers

NAXJA Forum User
I may need to tow my 2000 Cherokee classic tomorrow am. on a tow dolly. Does anyone know offhand what size wrench it will take to remove the back of the driveshaft/U joint? The Cherokee is a 4 door 4x4 with slectrac Tcase and six cyl motor. Thank you in advance. Dave

but in hind sight to put on a tow dolly you dont need to pull drive shaft unless you have the awd t case. just put the case in neutral and put her up on the dolly.

jkilcullen said:
but in hind sight to put on a tow dolly you dont need to pull drive shaft unless you have the awd t case. just put the case in neutral and put her up on the dolly.

Thanks for the info, it is too late and too dark to get under there prior to leaving. I'll just pack the tools and head out tomorrow am. I understand you can tow without shaft removal, but I have read some real horror stories even on the XJ board about the process going bad. Seems like cheap insurance to disconnect the shaft and tie it off. Dave

Or a 5/16" - same size.

You'll find out that it's actually a fairly good idea to replace the screws with socket heads tho - that's what I do. Makes it easier to get in there and hit the things, and you don't lose "wrench clearance" going against the strap and cap.

The D35 should be 1/4"-28 - I'm not sure about the ChryCo. I'd figure they're threaded either 1/4"-28 or M6-1.0 - either way, about an inch long should do neatly.

5-90 said:
Or a 5/16" - same size.

You'll find out that it's actually a fairly good idea to replace the screws with socket heads tho

Word up! (X2^)

I use a ratcheting battery removal tool for side-post batterys to take 'em out-- 8mm/ 5/16 and easy to find in the tool box! I now use the same thread bolts with a 1/4" drive allen head (left over from H-D projects) to make life easier in the future!

good luck with it!

--Shorty

Back