• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box screw up - HELPPPP

bugadifino

NAXJA Forum User
G'day all,

I had the input shaft seal leaking in the steering box, so I pulled it out & with the help of a parts blow up from
http://www.xjjeeps.com/com_xjjeeps/manuals/1994_-_1996_parts_catalog.pdf

I replaced all the seals & put box back in the car. Well now here comes the screw up...

With wheels off the ground & motor off it works brilliant. BUT turn the motor on & it won't turn right, even worse the wheels turn themselves to the left full lock. The power steering pump is growling its head off from what I am assuming is not having the system full of fluid. I cracked a beer, stood back & looked, all seems tight & correct. The only thing I could think was maybe the power steering lines were back to front, but they look like they will only fit one way.

I'm going 4WD this arvo & need some desperate help, does anyone have ideas????

You need to recenter the box BEFORE installing it or at least before hooking up the pitman arm.

Rotate the input one direction as far as it will go.
Rotate the input the opposite direction, counting the number rotations it takes to max out the input in that direction.
Divide the number of rotations by 2 and rotate the input the original direction by this number.

As for the pump. Just fill it up to a normal level and with the engine on steer lock to lock. Refill again with engine off. Repeat until level is appropriate with engine off. Don't overfill or you'll get PS fluid all over the engine compartment.

Ya like he said. One way to tell if you are on the right track is if the pitman arm is pointed straight to the rear. And the flat spot on the input shaft is on the right side of the shaft and straight up and down. Steering wheel is near center.
I'm reciting this from memory, so if I screwed it up somebody chime in quick.
This is for a Renix, but likely fairly universal.

Back