• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32's and 4.88 gears

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
im gearing for soon to be 35's
so i'll be runing 4.88's
but till the 35's are on i'll still be on my 32's
the gearing sticky said 32's and 4.88's will work
but how will it be?
i need to consider cause this is my dd
and need to take mpg and street handling into the figure

thanks
cas

At highway speed (65mph).... your engine RPMs will be approximately 4000....
Your acceleration will be GREAT, but your top end speed will be approximately 80 mph and you may find that starting from a stop will require shifting to 2nd gear quickly....

Charles

by my calculations. on 32" tires, your tire will need to rotate 631 times to take you 1 mile. if you were traveling 60 mph, then your tires will turn 631 times in one minute and bring you 1 mile. 4.88 gears in the axle will make the driveshaft turn 3,075 times in said minute, but you will have to adjust for 5th gear or overdrive.

i would estimate about 3300 cruising speed (65mph)

-Tim

you didn't mention if you drive an auto or 5sp. Either way you should be fine. I'm running 4.88 with 31" tires and I actually like. Granted I don't do much higway driving, but still can do 70mph at 3k. I get 16mpg just about no matter what.

i ended up picking up a 8.25 so im gonna have to stick to 4.56
so it should be great with the 32;s

then i'll be right back where i started when i slap on the 35's i want

cas

I ran bald 32s (that measured about 30'') on 4.88s for about a year. I didnt go over 45 mph because I only had to go to school every day. It kicked ass around town. I could beat almost any car that "raced me. At least to 15mph that is. Anything above 55 and It was scary. I have no tach so I had no idea what rpms I was at, but the engine was screaming. I got made fun of because 55 was about my max. Going on drives to go wheeling were very slow. But low range was so nice. I could idle up anything, and I wouldnt have to touch the gas at all. So if you are using it as a dd that you go over 55 for long periods, I dont think I would do it again, but if its only for really around town stuff with ocational long trips, I think it was ok.

edit: I guess I should read all the posts. Guess you dont need my info any more.

Back