• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rust Spots

I have several rust spots on my XJ 2000 Sport.

Using this quote from another post:
8Mud
user_offline.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_544380", true);
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Touching up spots
If the touch up is small enough, I use a selection of camel hair brushes I have. A dab of rust inhibiting primer, a touch of color coat and then a touch of clear. Kind of like paint betweent e lines. Works better for some colors better than others. On white, you don´t hardly see it, on black maybe if you get just the right angle.
If it´s a larger area, I usuually just spray a section between a seam and and a raised line.
I´ve tried featherig in spots with an air brush, the color coat is pretty easy, the clear is some harder. 600 sandpaper (wet) for the edges of the color and polishing compound to feather in the clear. The results kind of depend on the color. The edge of the feather, often shows up, with the next wax job.
A different kind of paint, might be easier. But I´m always little affraid of lifting, if mixing paint types. Most of the newer paints don´t color sand well.
Clear coat, color sands and polishes pretty good.

And some other research, I intend to use POR 15. How does this sound?

The spots are small on the middle of the roof, about a nickle size or possibly up to a quarter. Also some small areas where the hood flew up and caused some small areas between the back edge of the hood and the windshield to rust, finally the top edge of the liftgate (it does not show, but I want to stop it now.

I intend to:

1. Use Naval Jelly to remove the rust,

2. Sand with 80 grit to get to clean metal (assuming it has not yet rusted through),

3. Use POR 15 metal cleaner and etching solution and cover with POR 15.

4. Then spray MOPAR touch up paint, wet sanding with 220-500-and then 1000 grit between coats.

5. Final spray with clearcoat touch up.

Am I missing a something?

Thanks

Back