• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough country 6.5"

XJFETISH

NAXJA Forum User
Done the search and could find almost nothing for rough country never mind the 6.5" kit. Is it too stiff? I don't mind the short arm, in fact I don't want a long arm kit yet. It looks like a great kit for the money, and to get me moving. I would rather cut on the lift and use the money on gearing and lockers. What do you guys think? I don't want guys just picking on the fact I want to run short arms, but I know it will happen. I know the ride is better, but if I wanted better ride then I would buy a car.

I just did the search again and read alot of the articles but they still do not state how much stiffer the RC springs are to the other brands. I don't want a 4.5" lift, I have had many lifted XJ's and MJ's. I want to run around 6" of lift, so I can fit 37" later, can't do that on 4.5". Thanks for the hint on the search though, but pretty easy to use I am always doing this :geek: and not enough wheeling.

if you're gonna go to 6 inches, you better go long arm....or drop brackets. rough country does have some really stiff springs, from what i've been told....

you can fit 37's on a 4.5" and aside from what people may say, you can still flex.

brokeflexndeuce013.jpg

100_0547.jpg

XJFETISH said:
I just did the search again and read alot of the articles but they still do not state how much stiffer the RC springs are to the other brands. I don't want a 4.5" lift, I have had many lifted XJ's and MJ's. I want to run around 6" of lift, so I can fit 37" later, can't do that on 4.5". Thanks for the hint on the search though, but pretty easy to use I am always doing this :geek: and not enough wheeling.

Well, I guess a lot of it depends of how much farther down the road your talking about, I'd hope after axle swaps. You can always "upgrade" the 4.5" using spacers and shackles when your ready for the 37s. In the meantime it will keep your COG down, plus you can get a better kit and not have any regrets about getting the RC kit, for whatever reason.

I kinda did what your thinking about and went up from my 4.5" to ~6" to get ready for bigger meats. Since then I bought a Truck so the XJ project is moving much slower. I have considered lowering it back down for a while till I can get back to it.

You said you don't want long arms....why???? I raised mine before making long arms, and 6" on short arms really sucks. I have "tuned" it and I still have plenty of flex with the short arms, but the on road ride just sucks.

DSCF1489.jpg

OK OK I might just go for the long arm, Jeee Wizzz, then I can get a stereo too and comfy seats. The long arm sounds like I might have to go fo it, but I thought we are four wheeling here not building cruisers.

Well, it's not just for ride, they perform better off-road as well.

With short arms, as the suspension droops, the wheel pulls backwards. That means when climbing up a rock for example, the tire not only has to climb, but move forward as well, so it fights itself.

With long arms, this effect is dramatically reduced allowing your tire to climb freely.

i run a rc 6.5 short arm w/33x15.50 swampers and 4:88 gears and have no problem with flex or stiffness i really enjoy it. now if i could get the motor going better i'd be great

imo dont go rough country.the lift didnt last very long for me. the rear springs sagged and the control arms wallowed out at the threads. you want something that has some kind of joint at the ends that allows for the adjustment. dont skimp on your lift cause youll be replacing like i have. long arms are the only way to go. i got the rk three link and it floats over bumps. i will never do the shortarm thing again.

XJFETISH said:
Thats what I wanted to hear, not speculation. I might try it then. Got any pics.
if you do go rc 6.5 on the front control arms ( all 4 are adjustable ) add 1 1/4 to the length the directions have are the axle will sit too far back and not centered

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/welter5370/xjtree.jpg

it really flexes better than it looks i just don't have many pics yet due to tranny problems

that was my thinking could allways add it later the rc will not sit as high as the re the rc comes up a little short but can clear 33x12.50 easy i had to trim because i went 33x15.50 w/ 10" rims

redrider brings up a good point, i have a short arm 4.5" rough country system with new leaf assemblies, and yes i have about an inch of sag in the ass, but a shackle kit fixes that, my shit flexes pretty well, and rides a little stiff, but oh well, its a jeep......im pretty happy with my kit for the money...

personally i would try a different kit. your ride can be so much better than rc makes. i wont lie it flexes like crazy, but that flex isnt a smooth flex. itll bind up your front driveshaft, i went through 2. the control arms wallow out. you also have to buy longer brake lines bc it doesnt come with them. if you can save up couple 100 more dollars and buy something better. or build your own useing different parts you will be happier i promise. with all that said if you still get rc go ahead upgrade the shocks, and buy your brakes lines at the sametime.

Back