• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vacuum shift motor fluid

Harlee&Tahoe

NAXJA Forum User
Is this fluid filled from diff? or is it sealed separately? Thinking it would be difficult to fill unless rear was jacked near vertical.
:cheers:

If you're talking about the "vacuum shift actuator" on the front axle, you don't have to do anything special for it (except a new gasket, if the foot is leaking where it meets the axle.)

If that's not it, then I'd need to know more about what you're trying to do...

I'm replacing front axle u-joints and haynes and/or chilton stated having to remove cover. I know it's not needed but I also wanted to check fluid quality since I've never checked it before. Hopefully the gasket maker holds as well as it has on my valve cover, front, and rear diff.

Harlee&Tahoe said:
I'm replacing front axle u-joints and haynes and/or chilton stated having to remove cover. I know it's not needed but I also wanted to check fluid quality since I've never checked it before. Hopefully the gasket maker holds as well as it has on my valve cover, front, and rear diff.

You've got the side jacked up already - just make sure the end of the axle tube is a bit higher than the fill plug in the cover, and then run the shaft in and out carefully so you don't prang the seal.

The axle actuator section communicates with the differential case (in a fluid sense,) so it's the same stuff. When you change your axle, you've changed that fluid as well.

5-90 said:
If you're talking about the "vacuum shift actuator" on the front axle, you don't have to do anything special for it

So, I can seal it up and fill through the diff?

Harlee&Tahoe said:
So, I can seal it up and fill through the diff?

Yup, the axle shaft seal on that side is outside of the disconnect housing, so the fluid in the diff will make its way over there.

That's what I was hoping I'll just make a few left sharp fast circles and slosh the fluid over.

Back