• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dates and Schedule

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
The trip this year will be Aug 5-12. The schedule will be to run the Dusy-Ershim Trail Mon-Thurs, then Swamp Lake Trail Fri-Sat, and Bald Mtn Trail on Sunday.

The first weekend will be left open so those who will be arriving on the weekend to run Dusy can plan to do whatever they want. There are a number of possible trails to run.

The second weekend, Aug 10-12, will be our traditional annual Swamp Lake run. We've been alternating between spending two nights at Grouse Lake and coming out Sun, or spending one night at Grouse lake and coming out Sat and then running Bald Mtn on Sun. This year we'll spend one night on the trail and run Bald Mtn on Sun.

These trails are in the Sierra National Forest near Shaver Lake, which is roughly an hour's drive east of Fresno. Dusy and Swamp are both trails through trees and meadows, past lakes and over 10,000' ridges, with very nice scenery and camping. Dusy is a famous trail both because of it's great scenery and wheeling, and because it's 33 miles long........there's nothing else like Dusy. For comparison, the Rubicon is 9 miles long. The Dusy trail is in a 300 ft ride corridor between the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness and the John Muir Wilderness.

The Swamp Lake Trail is 14 miles long and is always enjoyable, which is why some of us run it every year. I think this will be my 11th consecutive year to run Swamp. We'll camp right next to Grouse Lake, about halfway through the trail, at an elevation of 9200'. I'll start a thread to post up some pics so anyone who hasn't been there can see what it's like. Bald Mtn trail is mostly on the granite slops of Bald Mtn, and ends at the top of the mountain overlooking Shaver Lake, with great views in all directions. The trail is fun wheeling, with some very challenging optional obstacles, and is a partial day run.

Post up your questions and comments, and get those days off reserved. See you there,

Looks like I won't be able to make it for the whole week, I just don't have the vacation time. I will plan on being there late Thursday night and run into Swamp. I plan on being there for the raffle and the pot luck dinner too. See you guys there.

Plan on running Swamp Lake and Bald Mtn.

Is there still a BBQ and raffle planned for Saturday night?

karstic said:
Plan on running Swamp Lake and Bald Mtn.

Is there still a BBQ and raffle planned for Saturday night?

Working on the dinner, and there should be some kind of raffle.

Who else is planing to go??? :)

Hmmm......at present the only time frame I have for completion of my rig is the November run in JV. That would make for a leisurely build up.
But I should have no problem being done by early August....

Maybe....:dunno:

Rick

Now this run, my rig will for sure be finished for.:D Now if I can convince my wife that this is the perfect setting to celebrate our wedding anniversary.....

XJEEPER said:
Now this run, my rig will for sure be finished for.:D Now if I can convince my wife that this is the perfect setting to celebrate our wedding anniversary.....

Jeff, Matt and Jenny did it a few years ago. They spent a few days at a hotel in Tahoe, then ran the Rubicon with the NAXJA gang. :D

It would be great to see you on the trail again :thumbup:

XJEEPER said:

Looks like I will be there for Dusy. Hopefully with a new front axle installed. Richard, let me know if you need help with the dinner.:chef:

Looking good guys! I should be there the whole week. For those that want to run stuff the first weekend, I was kinda thinking the locals (me, BenH) could show you guys Blue Canyon. Some extremly fun and different stuff than what that area has to offer. We could do that just sunday to try to wait for those that are coming in from a long ways.

Would anyone like to do that?

I will be getting back from Vegas on that Monday, and will immediately head up to catch up with everyone on Dusy and pick up any stragglers like myself.

Is this a NAXJA only run???

South end at Courtwright. If you are starting late, your chances are best to go in from the north. We will be camping at Thompson the first night, then Ershim the second and third. I know from experience that courtwright to ershim is a LONG LONG day.

That is what I would recomend to do if you are thinking about starting Monday night or tuesday morning.

Back