• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm Looking for a NAV that has...

DIGITRUCK

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I'm looking for a PORTABLE NAV that has all or most of these features:

1. 7" Touch Screen (I'm blind, need something that I won't have to squint to see, lol)
2. Hard Drive 20 Gig or Greater
3. SD or other Card interface
4. Plays DVD, DVD+/-R(W), CD, CDR+/-(W)
5. Mp3, Mp4, WMA, DIVX, other formats
6. Price range $600-800
7. Reliable
8. Good Maps of US
9. Bluetooth
10. I/O for Audio/Video etc.
11. IPOD Interface
12. Text to Speech
13. Voice Command
14. Remote Control
15. SIRF III
16. UPDATEABLE MAPS etc.
17. Anything I left out?

**I found units made by SANYO E7500 and others by unknown brands Shinco, INITIAL but don't know much about their reliability, quality, usability, etc.

Anyone know of units fitting the decription above?

Thx.

MG2000XJ said:
Portable as in you want to beable to take it out of your car and use it hiking or something?

Portable like the Tom Tom's or Garmin units. Not for hiking just be able to remove it from prying eyes or thieves and use it in all my vehicles.

In dash is nice but too risky to leave parked in the street.

You could build a system based off of one of the via mini-itx boards but it would be a bit smaller than a laptop footprint wise but thicker, then comes where would you put the 15 or 17 inch LCD. There were a bunch here that were into the car pc stuff last year, might fihd more info with search. I've custom built pc's in RC car bodies using totally wireless kbd/mouse/video/sound/network/printing but that card alone is over a grand for the video/sound.

Try fitting in a mac mini. load windows on it using boot camp and use the DVI to svid adapter to feed a standard LCD display. Bonus, the this has everything you described and it can fit into the factory dash radio location. they even make software based radio tuner programs.

Back