• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case swap ?

JEEParon

NAXJA Forum User
I've done a few searches, and haven't found a definite answer to my question. I have a 92 with aw4 and 242, my t-case is toast. i have access to a 231 case from a 92 with a manual tranny. is this a direct bolt in or ....? i can get this t-case for free. i also may be able to get a 242 from a 98 grand with 4.0 and auto trans, is this the same t case as mine? or would the 231 from the 92 be an easier swap? i don't want to pay for a t-case right now because i plan on swapping in a rubicon 4:1 case in a couple months. any insight to my little dilemma would be greatly appreciated, oh and if you have any info on the rubicon t case swap, i'd like to know about that as well. thank you very much

JEEParon said:
I've done a few searches, and haven't found a definite answer to my question. I have a 92 with aw4 and 242, my t-case is toast. i have access to a 231 case from a 92 with a manual tranny. is this a direct bolt in or ....? i can get this t-case for free. i also may be able to get a 242 from a 98 grand with 4.0 and auto trans, is this the same t case as mine? or would the 231 from the 92 be an easier swap? i don't want to pay for a t-case right now because i plan on swapping in a rubicon 4:1 case in a couple months. any insight to my little dilemma would be greatly appreciated, oh and if you have any info on the rubicon t case swap, i'd like to know about that as well. thank you very much
The 92 231 should bolt right up to your AW4 since by then everything was 23 spline. The Grand 242 should be identical to yours except by then it may have been New Venture instead of New Process but nonetheless, that one would probably bolt up too. I know for a fact the 92 231 would but you will have a few minor changes to make to make the light work and such.

Back