• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Point and Laugh - n00b question

lornius

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All, This may seem a silly question and feel free to point and laugh, but I gotta know ... when my XJ (1989 5- speed manual) is in 4Lo, can I still change gears as I normally would in 4High or 2Wd? I know, I know, a silly question, but rather than blowing my T-case finding out I shouldn't, I thought I would ask. I am new to 4x4 and seriously don't know. Years ago I trashed a perfectly good Samuri by driving it in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement because no one told my I shouldn't (comapny vehicle). Now I have my own XJ and do not want to repeat that little move. I find it hard to beleive that I have to climb hills at 2 miles per hour just because I am in 4Lo.

Thanks.

Yes you can shift, but you should still not drive on pavement in 4wd unless you have a "full time" 4wd option on your t-case shift lever.

You can but don't. If you are in 4lo then you better be really stuck or pullin some weight. I was always told to never go more then acouple miles an hour in 4lo and to stay away from it as much as possible. Stick with 4hi.

Prowler said:
You can but don't. If you are in 4lo then you better be really stuck or pullin some weight. I was always told to never go more then acouple miles an hour in 4lo and to stay away from it as much as possible. Stick with 4hi.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The only thing limiting how fast you go in 4 low is the RPMs of the engine. Use common sense and don't rev the crap out of it. If you need to go fast leave it in 4-Hi. And once again: if you are on dry pavement don't use 4 anything...stick to 2 wheel drive.

Prowler said:

There is no problem using four wheel low as long as you're not running around at redline all day.

I drive around in four wheel low all day long.

Prowler said:

those of us with autos are screwed. I couldn't keep that thing in first before BrettM's kit..

I too disagree about the 4lo thing, any time I really want traction, I use 4 lo, dont be afraid to start in second and hit third gear running up a sandy hill, then popping back to second when you get bogged.

Id resist slamming her down into first, you'll regret it.

But take your time at first and learn how the motor revs in low, get comfortable with it. I honestly prefer 4lo over hi any day, unless were driving on sandy dunes or whatnot between trails, Ill use high.

GSequoia said:
There is no problem using four wheel low as long as you're not running around at redline all day.

I drive around in four wheel low all day long.
x2

I also race in the sand in 4 low. Mine is an auto trans, but I leave it in overdrive and go up to about 45 mph...redline. It wont hurt anything unless you over rev the motor, or leave it at a very high rpm for a long period of time.

Thanks everyone for your input. As I am learning, when in 4Lo I have not had the need to shift as I only needed it twice on REALLY steep hills so far. The first one I took in first gear and crawled at a snails pace ... in fact I think one passed me going up. The second one I took in second and it was more reasonable and every bit as gnarly. I am amazed at the climbing ability of these things.

For stats ... '89 2DR 4.0L 5-speed with 4" Pro Comp lift on 31x10.5x15. Having seen a hundred videos I had a pretty good idea of the principles of it all, but being a n00b, not so much on the practical experience.

This forum rocks and you guys are most excellent!

If you have a stick shift with standard axle ratios, you'll find it almost imperative to use 4 low when going anywhere more off-pavement than a dirt road. I use 4 low without hesitation. It's much more comfortable, you can use all the gears, and it will save your clutch.

Matthew Currie said:
If you have a stick shift with standard axle ratios, you'll find it almost imperative to use 4 low when going anywhere more off-pavement than a dirt road. I use 4 low without hesitation. It's much more comfortable, you can use all the gears, and it will save your clutch.
x20 gajillion
I rode all around flat nasty in nothing but 4 lo, usually in 4th, until I came up on something difficult.

Back