• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lean bars along the rain gutter? anyone built any?

uncc civilengineer

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking at having some built and mounted to the roof line along the rain gutters here at Carolina Rockshop in Charlotte.

Just wanted to see what others have done out there. I've seen a few and would like some opinions/ideas.

I think the plan is to go w/ round tubing and mount it to the roof in 3 structural locations along the rain gutter. I want to be able to lean it up agains trees/rocks and not tear the windows out.

Also considering bracing them to each other laterally but dont know if thats really necessary..

What's your thought?

Chris

No expreience but if you brace them to each other laterally you might as well have a roof rack built out of them, the framework will be more than half done...

Thanks for the links... I do want to build something similar to what the White XJ is running just less tube work... I really dont care about the rack portion, I never have anything on the roof..

It just gets way too unstable around here with weight up top. I think I just need something to lay the jeep up against.

Also, that Olypmic rack is just doesnt do it for me...

I plan on doing this in the next coupld of weeks as well (mine will actually be part of a cage, but the concept is the same). A couple of thoughts on the subject that I have considered is that with the few extra feet in material I think it is worth wrapping it around the front. I also would go across the roof in a couple of other areas just for extra support. Make sure you tie it in to the gutters really well.

The Olympic rack's are very common in my area and they have proven them selves over and over again. They have saved many rain gutters, windows, doors, etc. They have held up very well and for the price I think they are well worth it. Certainly something could be made much better, but for a bolt on product they do ver well.

Michael

2xtreme said:
I plan on doing this in the next coupld of weeks as well (mine will actually be part of a cage, but the concept is the same). A couple of thoughts on the subject that I have considered is that with the few extra feet in material I think it is worth wrapping it around the front. I also would go across the roof in a couple of other areas just for extra support. Make sure you tie it in to the gutters really well.

The Olympic rack's are very common in my area and they have proven them selves over and over again. They have saved many rain gutters, windows, doors, etc. They have held up very well and for the price I think they are well worth it. Certainly something could be made much better, but for a bolt on product they do ver well.

Michael

What's the benefit of around the front? Over the windshield?

I want to limit weight up top as much as possible I guess i'll draw a few things up and see what we can work out..

uncc civilengineer said:
What's the benefit of around the front? Over the windshield?

I want to limit weight up top as much as possible I guess i'll draw a few things up and see what we can work out..

Yes, over the windshield.
I have seen several situations where a branch catches the front of a Olympic style rack and slides the rack back on the Jeep. I think that you will find the additional few feet pretty negligable in weight and would be less likely to get caught.

What material are you planning on using? .095 would be plenty think for a slider.
Michael

Michael,

I see.. but i'm not going to be running a rack.. just two lean/slider bars.

As for material i'll have to call Andy and see what he has laying around..

Probably something like 1.5 OD .095 or .125 wall DOM

yeah I don't want a rack either, my jeep is going to be tall enough. I just want to have a slider but if i needed to through something up there that has some weight to it, it could hold it. But it needs to be low profile. Preferably lower than the factory roof rack.

uncc civilengineer said:
Michael,

I see.. but i'm not going to be running a rack.. just two lean/slider bars.

As for material i'll have to call Andy and see what he has laying around..

Probably something like 1.5 OD .095 or .125 wall DOM

I understand you do intend to use it as a rack. My opinion only is that if I was going to go to the effort of building one (which I am, so I have put a significant amount of thougth into it) I would include it to wrap around the front (so that it didn't get caught) and I would also put at least two cross bar's to help support it laterally.

If it is just held on to the gutters I would hate to tip into a tree and bend either the gutter or the mount for the slider. The additional lateral support of any kind (I just assume add a couple of cross bars but I am sure there are other ways to do it) would make a huge difference in the ability for the slider to withstand a significant impact and not add too much weight.

Again, just my opinion and thoughts.
If you don't have a bender, then I can see why these ideas might make it significantly more difficult to do. I hadn't thought about that till just now;) maybe this is part of your hesitation.

Michael

Na, not at all.. Bender isnt a problem.

But, I think the front bar would not be beneficial for my situation, I've never yet had anything come that direction onto the jeep.

As for the "attached to the rain gutters" part. They will actually be attached with some form of very short leg off the top of the roof. Basically 3 angled / curved legs with one above/on each pillar.

See what I'm trying/getting at? It really wouldn't be attached to the rain gutter at all. Just stick out a little past it (inch maybe)?

EDIT: It's not going to have the strength of an internal cage w/ tied in exo or anything but should be plenty strong enough to lay the jeep up against a tree/bank/rock or whatever..

I've had a few close calls and seen a few broken windows that could probably have been prevented if the jeep was leaning against a steel bar instead of the rain gutter. The steel should distribute the weight much more kindly :)

I pretty much want it to be tight to the roof lines, not much additional weight, and definetely Aerodynamic for speed!

Last edited:
uncc civilengineer said:
Na, not at all.. Bender isnt a problem.

But, I think the front bar wouldnt do anythign for my situation, I've never yet had anything come that direction onto the jeep.

As for the "attached to the rain gutters" part. They will actually be attached with some form of very short leg off the top of the roof. Basically 3 angled / curved legs with one above/on each pillar.

See what I'm trying/getting at?

I think I understand what you are saying... Basically same as what I was going to do and weld them to the gutters. My only concern (and maybe I am way over thinking this) is that the only structure on the gutters is when the seam comes together. The roof has no structure at all, so obviously the closer to got the tubes to the gutters the better they would withstand a hit laterally. Either way they will be way better than nothing :D

This is what I love about fab work. Everyone does it differently.

Michael

What I've been told is to tie it into the 3 structural pillars with a foot mount, etc. I would imagine that three feet tied into the pillars would be much stronger than the actual rain gutter.. or am I wrong?

uncc civilengineer said:
What I've been told is to tie it into the 3 structural pillars with a foot mount, etc. I would imagine that three feet tied into the pillars would be much stronger than the actual rain gutter.. or am I wrong?

I don't know what you mean by a "foot mount"?
My only point is that there is very little latteral support provided by the gutter (hence my reasoning to go over the top with additional bar's).

As far as 3 mounts goes? I would want 1 at each end, then the "B" and "C" pillars. I would do 4 at these points, but again that's just me.

i cant say overthinking is a bad idea, but when i comes to a finished product....keeping it simple deffinitly makes it easier.

Yep, I over think alot of things. It drives my wife nutz:D

Michael

I want mine to look just like this one. It attaches to the factory holes from the factory rack. But, mine will probably be square tubing, since i don't have a bender or notcher.

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

SHoot me an email address and I will send you a couple old pics. We have spoke in the past, I am also in Charlotte/Matthews. I fabbed my entire roof rack and sliders and it is definately heavy but have never had it move more than an inch or two on any trail yet. I have laid it against the tree on the left side of Kodak a couple of times. I bought my tubing from Andy about 5 years ago, It is 1" OD not sure on the wall thickness. Curtis

Back