• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

(poll) Tube doors are coming!

Which Mirror Option

• Total voters

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, so I got the word to start pulling my doors off this afternoon. We should have these in production and accepting orders for them before the end of the month. Dont quote me on that though, but we do want a prototype to show a press release on at Truckfest Ontario on June 9-10th

The door design is pretty much already locked in and for all intents and purposes will be pretty simple. The JK doors damn near fit, minus some small changes, so they'll basically look like this on front (yes, rears are coming too)

jk-front-tube-door-250.jpg

I wanted to see what the NAXJA world thought before we start taking some action here in regards to mirrors.

Of course we know that we all need mirrors to stay legal, as well as to see better.

So what should we do.

Option 1, INCLUDE a mirror solid mounted on like this one
7618.jpg

Option 2, INCLUDE a newer more modular mirror like a TJ mirror and some sort of mounting bracket for it.

82200834K.jpg

Option 3, offer a seperately purchased TJ style mount kit, and let everyone buy their own mirrors for the mount (benefit: keeps cost of doors lower)

Option 4, offer no kit, let them figure it out

edit ** PS the mesh inner covers are sold separately, just so you know.

I want to ask one more question, and maybe not take a poll on it, and see how people feel about it.

We decided to make this like a TJ door, where it lifts off. In order to do that, you have to drive the pins out of the hinges to remove the doors. Reason for this is that if we made one that bolted to the 3 hinge bolts instead, you would have to constantly deal with re-aligning your doors each time.

So if you drive the pins out, you can drop a tube door on it like its a wrangler. Also, if you cut the bottom tab on the door hinge off, and flip the pins and press them back in (also helps to shorten them to about 1.5"), you essentially turn your door into a quick take off door like the wrangler too.

Concerns in that matter though would be strength of the hinge, but it seems like lots of NAXJA folks do it.

What do people think on that subject, would you rather be manually aligning your doors and bolting the tube doors on?

Mirror mount only, and lift off style for the hinges (quick and easy swap-out, plus lower weight, cost of produtcion etc...).

I already did the door removal mod, so if you had the tube doors mount by sliding the pins into the stock hinge bracket, (the part that's welded to the unibody) that would be freaking awesome!

On a side note, I have had the doors set up like this for two years now and i haven't had a single problem. The hinges are still attatched to the body, no cracking, no sagging, no wobble, airtight seal all around the door still. Of course I'm also using newer style seals on my old style 91' so I'm sure that helps with the sealling.

As i imagine the tube doors will probably weigh less than the stock doors, I can't see strength being an issue.

tj mount. no mirror included. lift off.

if you are buying tube doors, you should have already done the removal mod. and should be able to "borrow" tj mirrors from a cheerleader. ;-)

Cool!

Mirrors - have them as an option - TJ style, but quick release... street legal and easy trail change....

Lift off doors are cool. Any negative affect the factory door?

lift up doors.

and I'll be a little different and say... mirror mount standard, with YJ mirror optionally included. they match the style of the door better, and aren't so huge. maybe make the gusset at the front corner bigger so people could mount any mirror they wanted by drilling there?

any cost estimates?

Here is what I want.
Removable doors with removable mirrors that have no exterior mounts to catch on trees and rocks (the reason a removable mirror is removable.)

Damn it, I just gave away another patent!

:D

Rick

93_xj said:
dont forget about your friends with 2 door XJ's

As soon as I find a local with a 2door to prototype on, they will come.

whatevah said:
any cost estimates?

Depends on the mirror options, but the basic JK door ranges $200-250 per pair depending on where you buy them (we go thru dealers). With mirror mount stuff, it will obviously go up.

WheelinJR said:
Of course we know that we all need mirrors to stay legal...

Well, not quite "all."

Ohio Revised Code ORC 4513.23 requires every vehicle to have "a mirror" providing a view to the rear. The one stuck to the windshield is enough...

But nice doors, and good luck to you...

Robert

Yup, yup. Subscribing to this thread, right here...

Keep us appraised. Ever since I saw those tube doors on a JK I've been salivating for a set on my '00 XJ. The saddlebags ALONE would be awesome on that. (Of course, not sold with your kit though.)

I'd like them before Camp Jeep this July, it'll give the other guys something different to look at.

Drake69 said:
Yup, yup. Subscribing to this thread, right here...

Keep us appraised. Ever since I saw those tube doors on a JK I've been salivating for a set on my '00 XJ. The saddlebags ALONE would be awesome on that. (Of course, not sold with your kit though.)

I'd like them before Camp Jeep this July, it'll give the other guys something different to look at.

Right now we have some seamstresses prototyping a canvas style pad that velcros to the top and bottom tube and has a zip up pouch between it. Kinda like a saddlebag of sorts I guess.

I was thinking of making upper half doors like the the CJ Bestop soft full doors where you can remove the upper when its nice weather.

this way you can still have a nice interior or electronics and not worry about the weather when your full hard doors are off.

ramjet308 said:
I was thinking of making upper half doors like the the CJ Bestop soft full doors where you can remove the upper when its nice weather.

this way you can still have a nice interior or electronics and not worry about the weather when your full hard doors are off.

Exactly, I have the bestop two piece doors on my TJ and I want the same thing for my XJ. Just nobody makes them...if someone did make them I would buy a pair for sure.

-Aaron

Was I understanding correctly that these are going to be somewhere in the ballpark of $200-250?

Lift off, removable windows, optional windows.

Back