• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting scallops on my hood. Ideas?

12 Volt Man

NAXJA Member # 1383
I want to paint some scallops on the hood of my Red 2000 XJ similar to the ones I photoshopped on to this picture.

dsc0228tx4.jpg

Probably will go will less of them and more even, at any rate you get the idea.

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to do this. My current paint is pretty good. I wonder if there is something that will stick to the clear coat? Or if there is a way to precisely sand the area I want to paint. I figure I'll tape off the design I want then go to work. I don't want to have to sand and ruin the clear coat on the whole hood.

There are a couple of options I can think of with my limited tools etc... Rattle can (if so what paint) or Rustoleum in a can thinned and rolled on with a foam roller.

What are your thoughts on how to get this done and looking decent?

The correct way to do this would be to 1000g or grey scuff pad the entire hood, lay your graphics, then reclear the hood. Another idea for you which would be much cheaper/easier, would be to have a sign shop plot some vinyl out for you in that pattern...

Back