• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crush sleeve

i wouldnt advise of it i had my pinion yoke replaced and they didnt replace the crush sleeve and it screwed up my ring and pinion

The crush sleeve is used instead of shims on a d35 to set the pinion on the ring. I've reused them with some pretty good luck but after having it put together you HAVE to check and make sure it is lined up correctly on the ring and if it does not then you will need to go with a new crush sleeve.

HUH?:cool:
The crush sleeve sets the pinion bearing preload. It's possible (not advised) to re-use this sleeve, if, before you remove the pinion yoke, you determine the pinion drag first, with an inch-pound torque wrench. If it's within specks, record the data and continue the tear down. When you reinstall the pinion bearings and crush sleeve, very carefully tighten down the pinion nut until you get the number you previously recorded. It's very easy to go too far, requireing replacement of the crush sleeve anyway, and if you don't go far enough, it will result in too low of a preload, which will lead to bearing failure, and:attom:

Back