• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Campground Info

jrsxj98

DILIGAF
We will be basing our camp out of Silverton Lakes Campgound.

We have a large group site, next to the Animas River, reserved for tents and campers. The group site is dry, however there is a faucet to fill storage tanks etc.

Seperate men's & women's shower and bathroom facilities
Pets are ok if well behaved and on a leash

If you plan on coming in on the 22nd, he said there would be no problem with coming early.

There will be no sched. trail runs on the 29th since most will be leaving and the group site has another group coming in on that day. We will need to be checked out of the campground by 11 am.

Cost will be determined after we have a better head count, but should be about the same as last couple of years.

If you plan on needing a full hook up site you need to make your own reservation, and soon as possible- full hook up sites are limited. Contact info is below. IMPORTANT: If you have a question about general camping please contact me or Jeff, DO NOT CONTACT THE CAMPGROUND UNLESS YOU NEED YOUR OWN RESERVATION. The guy running the campground is very busy and does not have time to field everyones questions. If I cant answer your question I will get the answer for you. Thank You

Silverton Lakes Campground
2100 Kendall St
Silverton, CO 81433
(970) 387-5721
Ask for Sam and tell him you are with the NAXJA group for the dates above.
http://www.coloradodirectory.com/silvertonlakescamp/

Last edited by a moderator:
Showers? Toilets?

I checked the site and all I see mentioned is a laundry. I have a portable propane powered shower. K-mart has a two room shower stall, dressing room tent thingy on sale. I could buy it and bring it along. Sounds like we would have to haul water to keep the wives happy, but it's doable.

Fred

When I first talked to him he said they had showers on site. I am verifying everything. and will post up what I find out.

I have a shower in my trailer for 5 bucks a pop :laugh:

We don't need no stinking showers, is there a river near by? :pig:

Here's the general area where the campground is located. Not a lot to look at, and the snow in the pic doesn't exactly help with the appeal.......

Map.jpg

Ok I'm confused as to where the campground is located. The above map shows an arrow pointing north to Silverton, so the campground is south of Silverton? Or is it at the northern edge of Silverton?

The pin marked "A" is where the address places the campground on the map. So, I believe it to be south of Silverton.

Hey guys, went there today and spoke with Sam, which he was a real nice guy. There are showers and bathroom facilities there for those who cant ruff it in the San Juans! The building is actually part of the Outward Bound school but he says we have full access to the facilities. Pretty nice area to camp, right on the river, but borders BLM land which we are not allowed to camp on. The site is big enough I believe, RVs are probably not going to be allowed in the area which we are designated. There are a bunch of picnic tables there that are of our use and a little shelter. The place is pretty rocky so bring the sleeping pads and mattresses.

DIRECTIONS!
The campground is at the North end of town, go thru "downtown" til the end, take CR 2 (a right towards the Alpine Loop, and the gold mine tours), and you'll see a sign for the campground on the right. Take a right than a left, pass the RVs and on the right you'll see the fence blocking us in, theres a little space where you can drive thru. It says no vehicles allowed but Sam says he hasn't had time to take it down so its a go. I had to go to the visitors center to ask directions to the campground, er I mean say hi.. I'm not sure what the other map was but it was incorrect. If you need some more info let me know and I can help out.

Here's a link to pictures.
http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/kemosabeefoto/NAXJACamp07232907/

Last edited:
Thanks so much for doing that Kemo! Looks like this will be a nice place for us. Glad I will be camping in the truck-bed-tent, the ground looks pretty lumpy! :D Having the shelter will be nice in case of rain, and we have a fire pit fellas! Good times are on the horizon! :thumbup:

Randy I believe Jeff and I have set it at 5 bucks/night per adult. kids under 12 free.

Kemo, Sam told me when I made the reservation that RVs would be allowed with us. But there are only a couple of use who have campers anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be pulling a small pop-up camper. I'm ass-u-mining there'll be enough room...?
Thanks for the pics!:worship:

Last edited:
Back