• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power windows

ikenter

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 cherokee with power windows that blows the fuse as soon as I replace it. Any Ideas how to shoot this problem? It is hard to shoot an electric problem when you can not apply power without blowing a fusible link. I hate power windows but..... this was to good a deal

Sounds like you have a short to ground. The most likely area for this to happen is where the wiring bundle leaves the body and enters the door.

You can probably check it by checking each of the wires to a good ground with a ohm meter. The wire that keeps blowing the fuse should not be direct to ground......but they get chafed and ground at the above areas.

Good Luck.

The fusible link supplies power to a circuit breaker in the fuse block (lower left drivers side firewall inside). Remove the circuit breaker, it's likely the short is between the fusible link and the circuit breaker and not inside the vehicle. Between the fusible link and the bulk head connector or maybe between the bulk head connector and the fuse block.
If you have stick, check and see if the fluid has been leaking out of the clutch master cylinder onto your fuse block. It can eventually eat up the plastic and cause grief.
I'm pretty sure the 92 is pretty close to the same setup as the Renix at least inside the passengers compartment.
I don't have a plan for the 92 fuse block (inside) but seem to remember the circuit breaker being a little silver box, 30 amp I believe. There is another circuit breaker in the fuse block for the windshield wipers 5-6 Amp or there abouts.

Back