• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Early XJ values

bl87xj

NAXJA Forum User
Going to look at a '88 XJ pioneer. It is on a used car dealer lot which could be good or bad. Has high miles 250K, claims to have a rebuilt motor and looks real clean. Guy on the phone says it is very clean in and out and drives well. I assume that with it being at a dealer I will have no issues with title, smog, etc.

They are asking $1,950.00.

Plans are to let my kid use it as a school/beach runner. Maybe turn it into a mild trail runner. As I did with a previous YJ, when things needed fixing, I looked at them as an opportunity to upgrade.

So...if the thing drives well, and I see no obvious leaks, damage or noises. Should I be concerned about the high mileage? How does the price sound, maybe I can get a few hundred off?

I just sold my 86 XJ Pioneer with 145,000 miles for $1500. It only had the 2.5L 4-banger that needed work but also had a some extras, 3" lift, 31's, new radio and strait body. I wouldn't go over $1200 for the 88.

I would have to agree with $1500 cash. I just picked up a 89 XJ Limited for $900......Little rusty, 212K miles, runs and drives good. Mine needs new shocks and some un-forseeable brake work, but came with $500 worth of new sneakers

More info

Thanks for all the replies so far.Here is what I noticed when I checked it out. Let me know what you think.It has a 3" lift done with full springs. Front coils are red, but I could not identify a brand. It is a D-35 rear end.Interior is fairly complete, cloth, faded/worn but no noticable rips or tears. The A/C works and did get cold fairly quick, though I did not keep it running.Bottom of engine seemed fairly clean, not oil build up, etc The oil pan was clean, but didn't look freshly cleaned. Top had some oil build up, it was high, on valve cover and below. Maybe from a hose, cap or valve cover gasket (I am not a mechanic at all) The rest of the engine compartment looked about like a 19 year old car should I guess. It did have a K&N box type air filter.The engine had a very slight hesitation when first applying the gas. It was very slight and not noticable when driving, may have just been a bit cold.The exterior looked fine, no rust, seemingly straight, no damage or missing trim. Looked like a typical cheesy detail to sale. Tires have some useful life in them (though I wouldn't mind new tires). It has some later model, jeep 5 point aluminum wheels. Looks fairly sharp for an older XJ. The jeep shifted, accelerated, stoped, handled, etc. just fine. The rear seemed a bit stiff and there was some cabin creaking when crossed it up a bit on a steep driveway approach...it is a lifted XJ, so I figured it to be about right, maybe improvable with a softer leaf pack and rear shocks?Steering was accurate and controlable, seemed a bit quick to respond or light in the front, not sure (haven't driven an XJ before) . Power steering fluid was very dark in resivior.I shifted it into 4wH, there was a slight thumping noise in 4w. It shifted into and out of 4L. It worked (as far as I can tell) the front axle probably needs some lube/service. (again, I am not a mechanic, the noixe did not seem terribly bad, but was not your normal 4x engaged sound) The exhaust had a bit of noise, almost like a small leak. I did not find it, but it was located under the drivers seat area. I am assuming a Borla cat back kit would take care of it and should be an easy bolt on for me.I didn't get a feel if the guy is willing to move on the numbers. It appears it was a trade in to a jeep dealer, this guy buys trade-ins from dealers and turns them over.Sorry for the long post, but here is what I am thinking.The jeep seemed suitable for a school runner as is, will need some attention.A cat-back kit would likely solve the slight exhaust noise. Worst case it would need headers. Both are upgrade type repairs I don't really mind.The front axle will need attention before it is reliable 4wd, but is not a pressing issue at the moment.Softer springs, new tires andshocks would eliminate any ride concerns, again an upgrade repair I would enjoy.Interior/Exterior was suitable for our use, might have to track down a mirrior or wind wing latch, no big deal.The oil on the engine and the front axle noise are really the only concerns that I have, and I did not get the feeling either were signs of major problems. Evaluating KBB values I would guess KBB would be somewhere between $1.2K and $1.5K. So..unless anybody thinks these might be signs of a major issue, I think the previous suggestions of $1,200-$1,500 would still apply. Thanks again for the replies.

Last edited:
ugg...now I just stumbled upon a '95 country with 101K miles for $2K.

Are there model years that are more desireable and/or should be avoided when searching?

Thanks guys, I just need to stay patient and keep my eye out for a good deal. I have had two fall through and I start to justify paying more...but one will come that I can not turn down.

bl87xj said:

Are there model years that are more desireable and/or should be avoided when searching?

If there are no serious obvious issues with the 95, I would snatch that deal up in a New York minute.

I paid 1,500 for an 87 Wagoneer, 4x4, 2 years ago, and spent 4,000 working on it since then. It had 220,000 miles on it. It is a dependable DD now at 248,000 miles.

bl87xj said:

For that I would fly across the country and drive it back to NJ.

That is a GOOOD deal.

Country/Laredo/Pioneer

Was Country trim level the luxury type model? If so, seems that would be more gadgetry to keep up. Anyway, since the consensus is that it is a good deal, I have a call in, no reply yet.

Also have a call into a '92 Laredo with 138K miles asking $1,650.00. Sounds like it is in good condition.

Not real happy about driving all over the place looking, If only I could find a Grannies XJ for sale in my nieghborhood.

Back