• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise coming from my front end...

XJ Coyote

NAXJA Forum User
99 xj sport, 4.0l, 5spd, NP231, d30/c8.25

Ok, so I have a noise coming from my front end at higher speeds, it is almost a shuddering sound, but constant.
its like a chuh-chuh-chuh-chuh-chuh-chuh-chuh, but really fast, almost like tire noise, but i know its coming from the drive train

It only comes around in 4th or 5th gear, all the other gears are good. Also, when I am coming to a stop, and i put my foot on the clutch it sounds like something winding down, but it seems wobbley.
any ideas?

XJ Coyote said:
I haven't yet, I'm going to do that tonight...
do you think that could be it?
Yes because mine was doing almost the same symptoms and I checked the fluid and there was barely any in, so I topped her off and problem was fixed.

I checked the fluid and it was nasty, but it came out the fill plug as soon as i opened it, so i think there is enough. What should the fluid look/smell like if it is good?

Also did yours only make the sound with your foot on the throttle?? cause thats what mine is doing...

it was the driveshaft, actually turned out to be my rear ds but the noise always sounded like it was coming from the front. i call the jeep dealer and the tech told me to check out the ujoint. i did, and sure enough the thing fell apart when i took it out.

Back