• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Hub?

Tom R.

NAXJA Forum User
This just started this morning. When making slow speed right turns in a parking lot I can hear a metal scraping noise from the right wheel area. It's the same sound you hear from the brake pads slightly touching the rotor when spinning a front tire that's lifted off the ground. However, this is much louder and is heard from inside with the windows up.

I didn't find any play when push/pulling on the tire in the 3/9 or 12/6 positions. I hear the noise only when making right turns. So, is it likely a bad wheel bearing or could a bad right shaft u-joint cause this too? Thanks!

U-joints? raise axle turn wheels and rotate by hand probably get a little grinding

Yeah, those worthless dust covers are just fancy noise makers.

The best way to find out if it is the hub... Drive around for about 10-15 minutes. Then get out and touch the outer (stub) axleshaft on the side you think is bad. If you just burned the s*!t out of your finger. Your hub is bad.

Back