• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eating left front shaft ujoints on HP 44?

XJCRAWLER

NAXJA Forum User
Keep eating ujoints on left shaft on my 79 Ford HP44, is this do to being welded in the front or is something else wrong. The first time it pushed out the caps on the inner shaft and now it it is starting to squeak and pop and only went on one ride. Has not effected the right side shaft.

Shortened tubes, I assume? Are they the right length? Sounds like there some binding due to the joint not being centered...

Give us a little more info on this axle. Who built it, etc...

Also the drivers side will usually go before the passenger side due to the shaft lengths.

Sorry about not enough info,
1979 Ford F250, high pinion, stock 4:10 gears, stock length, stock shafts, with 297 ujoints, brackets installed by Blue Torch Fab Works, 36 inch Iroks on H2 wheels. Used for rock crawling and trail riding, no mud. Not serious abuse though with the skinny pedal.

Not breaking anything just pushing the caps off. Is this something that happens from turning to deep? If so how to you know where to adjust the stops to? Right now I have them adjusted to keep the tires from hitting my Clayton long arms.

First, are you only breaking them at full lock?
Maybe just adjust them in a little and that will give them a little more relief at full lock.

If these are stock shafts, inspect the yokes carefully. Its very possible you have ovaled the ujoint holes and the caps weasled their way out.

I was wondering why my caps kept getting spit out and sure enough the holes were no longer circular (with 36" tires on hp44). I ended up getting alloy shafts and full circle retaining clips.

Back