• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time to fix the college-built XJ

darwin

NAXJA Forum User
I bought the XJ while I was in college and built it as best I could. I learned how to wrench on this vehicle and some of the stuff I'm not proud of. It's not a ghetto build, but it's not the best. Things need to be fixed and done and I'm unsure of where to start.

The XJ will probably continue to be my DD for another six to twelve months and then will be a weekend/trail vehicle.

1998 XJ 4.0L, NP231, AX15, D30/C8.25 on 33x12.50s

Suspension:
Front Tomken 3" coils
Rubicon Express 2" spacers
Rubicon Express monotube shocks
Tomken 2" lift block
Rough Country 1.5" shackle
Hockey puck bump stops up front
Extended bump stops in the rear

Armor:
Front stocker skid plate
Rusty's HD cross member with built in 1" drop without loss in clearance
Warn front diff skid
Poison Spyder Customs rear 8.25 rock ring

JCR front winch bumper with a Chicago 9,000 lb winch
TJ flares in the front, no flares in the rear, lots of trimming
Relocated front brake lines, Rubicon Express rear lines
Yukon 4.56 gears, Detroit locker in the 8.25
Big Daddy tie rod
Draw Tite class III hitch

So where do I go from here? I need a gas tank skid and rock rails badly. I plan on redoing the rear lift (obviously). Probably going to go to the Rubicon Express 4.5" full pack. The fenders are dented pretty badly and the doors are scratched to sh!t. Was thinking about taking off the TJ flares, doing bedliner or herc down the side and banging out the dents, then attaching the flares with zip ties or at least easy to remove fasteners. They're a PITA on the trail and I only keep them on for the street.

All input is appreciated! (By the way, don't have Paypal but found the address to send my membership dues to, so I'll be sending that in ASAP.)

(Ignore the wheel spin in the rear... the locker and gears went in only a few weeks ago after this trip)

Ah thank you... I'm sure I forgot stuff.

RE lowers for a 4.5" lift, stock uppers but I carry spares :D

It looks like a decent rig.
I would make a list of what you want it to be when you are complete. Then start working towards that. I usually rank things in this order. Skids, suspension, gears, tad's, etc.

Michael

I've got a line on the RE 4.5" springs, going to get those tomorrow.

Found the gas tank skid, probably going to order some of AJ's rails next week or the week after.

I need to do shims in the rear to hopefully do a little bit for the high end vibes and then SYE eventually.

Back