• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Line QD Replacement and NAPA

kegger

NAXJA Forum User
Need some quick help, trying to take XJ on 5 hours trip to WV on Friday. I've done lots of searching but have a few questions. Long story short, both QD fittings leak at the tranny end. I have already cut out the factory rubber hoses and replaced with trans hose to repair a leak there.

Options are:
Seal kit from dealer at $20 a pop
Napa lines

Do the Napa lines replace the QD fittings altogether (meaning you remove the hex adapters from the trans), or do you still need a seal kit? If the Napa lines replace the factory QD fittings, I'd rather do that.

Also, Napa sells a Transmission Cooler Fitting Kit, which has a male and female to barb fitting adapter. Any clue what this is for. Doesn't look like it screws into trans.

Just called the dealer, repair kit for the o-rings is discontinued and no replacement available. Line assembly is $75 and $70 each.

Called Napa. My buddy their says he has several of the repair kits in stock. I will post the Part # if it is the correct one. I have searched for several hours for a part number with no luck.

NAPA called. They do not have a kit for the QD o-rings. He was looking at a fuel line repair kit. He has lines in stock, but they are setup for the QD at the tranny end, and do not include the o-ring kit with them. I don't need the lines, just the QD kit at the trans end.

Does anyone know where to find a kit? I think I may have lost one of the plastic pieces.

Help!!!!!!!!!!
I have never spent a freaking month rebuilding and installing an engine. This has been a nightmare, 1 problem after the next. About to throw a damn match in the tank.

I just repaced both QD at the tranny with parts from NAPA. I think they were about $11 each and worked great with the stock lines. I am running a '89 and tried to go to a 3/8" barbed fitting right into the tranny and found the thread is not a standard thread. It is a metric thread because that tranny we all think is a AW4 is in all reality an A340 toyota tranny, which Jeep bought and renamed the AW4. I finally gave up trying to find the metric fittings and bought the NAPA parts and the screwed right into the transmission itself. the stock lines push right into them. Then I took the tranny lines to a transmission shop and had them put a double flare on the other ends where I had cut the stock rubber lines to keep the aftermarket cooler lines from coming off. Woked great.

I don't have them here at work, but may still have them at home and could post later. If I can even find the sales ticket. Best I can do for ya!

EDIT:
I was able to call NAPA on break and got P/N=730-5027...... This is for an '89. Good luck!

Last edited:
That would be great. I did a search on napaonline.com for "cooler", and pulled up Transmission Oil Cooler Hardware, and there are 5 adapters listed, but not sure if one of these is the one you are talking about. If you have a moment, can you look online and see if the pictures look like the one you bought. Thanks.

NAPA online doesn't even show that P/N. I called NAPA in Peoria, AZ 623-979-3363. Good luck!

That's the one. They are nice. They have a metal clip that holds the stock tranny lines vs. the crappy plastic ones. Cool!!!!!!!!!!

Stu did what I wanted to. He was able to find the parts I could not...... Oh well..... Too late. Look pretty cool though.

Last edited:
I called another dealer 45 minutes away, and they had one of the repair kits, and got a second one same day. Picked them up yesterday. They wanted $28 each over the phone, but only charged me $20 each once I got there. Apparently they are a redesign. Mine had a black cone shape piece in front of the gray retaining clip, the new one has the cone shape built into the black retaining clip. One o-ring was missing, and another was torn in half. Pulled out the ld stuff, shoved the new stuff in, no leaking

I installed a tranny cooler, and eliminated the radiator cooler completely while I was at it. Should be ready to tow my utility trailer with all of my gear for camping.

Dorman (Part # 800-714) and Napa (Part # 7305027) make a complete unit (about $12 each), you just pull your lines out, remove the hex shape adapters from the tranny, and replace the complete adapter unit with o-rings already installed. Nobody in my area stocked the adapters, and I'm leaving for a 5 hour trip to WV tomorrow. Couldn't take a chance of getting the wrong part if I had to order them. Any parts store that has a "HELP" section can order Dorman parts.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the input.

Those fitting on Stu Olsons site are standard SAE ORB (o-ring boss) and AN fittings that can be found at any hydraulics supplier. They are probably cheaper from a local supplier than a race shop.

Back