• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 MJ gearing??

Gildo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi gents, im in the process of converting a n 86 XLS Comanche from LHD to RHD and a few questions youall may be able to help me with?
Its a 2.8L V6 Auto with Selectrac any ideas what the factory diff gearing might be?
Is there anywhere on the diffs or elsewhere on the thing I can find this info?

What is the Auto likely to be? Its Tbar, floor shift? Pan is rectangular with one corner cut off.

What is Selectrac ? Is it just another groovy marketing name for part time 4wd?

Cheers from WAY down south.

Sounds like a cool project! Not many MJ's down under huh? Gotta make your own?

First, get with one of our Premier members who lives in Australia - "GoJeep". His name is Marcus and would likely be one of the best sources of XJ/MJ related info in your neck of the woods. His website: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/

I'd imagine that the floor pan would be the same as far as the transmission tunnel is concerned for either RHD or LHD. So, you should be able to do a center console with the typical auto shifter and bucket seats. Most MJ's had bench seats, but the buckets with console was an option as was the auto shift lever on the steering column. I doubt the column shift will be easy to swap without all the correct RHD pieces.

As far as the selectrac - someone will know better than me, as well as the common factory gear ratios.

Post up some pics when you can!

Last edited:
In '86, the only auto option was the Chryco 3 spd, a TF904. Gearing would most likely be 3.55, or even 3.73. If there are no tags on the diff cover(s), pull the cover and spin the ring gear around....the teeth count for the ring and pinion are stamped into the face of the ring gear.

Another good MJ resource is www.comancheclub.com.....stop in and introduce yourself if you'd like.

Jeff

the ENTIRE firewall will be different from LHD to RHD. hope you have an rhd xj or something...you'll need to swap that out. move the steering box to the right side, have ALL the rhd engine brackets as some of it gets moved around. the floor pan is the same.

gearing will as stated before, be 3.55 or 3.73. probably not 4.10's (almost definitely not). there is a tag on one of the diff cover bolts that would say it. otherwise, pull the diff cover and jack up the rear ( tranny or t-case in neutral), and spin the tire. look on the big ring gear for 2 numbers...like a 39 and 13 or 43 and 11 or something along those lines. take the larger number and divide by the smaller number, round up or down as decimals demand, and you have your gear ratio. you can count the teeth as well.

selec-trac is part-time/full-time

And, have fun moving the steering gear box over, as the "normal"chassis does not have the holes or "reinforcement" for the RHD.

you'd sh*t a brick if you saw the right side frame rail in my comanche...It's now 1.5" thick just about from the middle of the coil forward on that side.

I cut it out so i could fit the camaro a/c :D but I reinforced it at the same time.

you'll need lots of reinforcement on that side for the steering box.

do you have a donor xj or something?

Back