• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I do this?

DIGITRUCK

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

Gonna be installing an overdrive alternator pulley on my '88 xj 4.0L, auto, ac etc.

First I'll loosen and remove the belt then the engine skid plate and finally remove the alternator from it's bracket.

***I'd like to know can I then drive it (briefly) back into my garage w/o the alternator and belt on? Would I harm the engine?

I need to do this since I'll be taking the alternator to a shop so they can install the new pulley (don't have air tools) and don't want vandals/thieves messing with my rig.

Thx.

I guess it depends on where your garage is in relation to where you take the
alt off. I'm gonna say NO. Take the alt off and hitch a ride to the alternator shop would be your best bet.

JXPEEJ said:
I guess it depends on where your garage is in relation to where you take the
alt off. I'm gonna say NO. Take the alt off and hitch a ride to the alternator shop would be your best bet.

I would remove the Alt on the Driveway in front of the garage. Then drive to the shop with my other vehicle.

With this in mind do you think I can drive it into the garage now?

Thx.

bfred said:
This probably has a really obvious answer, but why couldn't you just pull it apart in the garage???

Not enough elbow space in the garage too full of junk and my other vehicle which I have to pull a "BATMOBILE MANEOVER" to get into it to drive it out. LOL

**BATMOBILE MANEOVER means climbing into the vehicle thru the rear hatch to get to the driver's seat since both vehicles nearly touch and I can't open the driver's door wide enough to permit entry.

Thx.

Back