• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing ABS

pats95xj

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if there are any write-ups on removing the ABS system, tried to search, but nothing really good. if it cant be done, what do i do with the brake lines for the abs, when switching from the d35 to d44?
thanks

its an easy swap. i have a 94 so i upgraded to the bigger booster and M/C while i was at it, which was out of a 95. all i did was cut the brakelines that come from the ABS to the wheels just above the wheel well. then i bent some new shorter lines coming from the proportioning valve to the cut lines which i fitted with the proper conections. here are some pics.

100_1892.jpg

100_1891.jpg

Everything works just the way its supposed to and i can actually stop now. hope this helps

i just pulled the fuse. abs was giving me problems now it doesnt. possibly just a bandaide for a bigger problem. oh well jeep stops. hope that helps

BigPoppaXJ said:
i just pulled the fuse. abs was giving me problems now it doesnt. possibly just a bandaide for a bigger problem. oh well jeep stops. hope that helps

Yea pull the fuse that says ABS BATT under the dash. It will inable the ABS portion by shutting off the abs computer but not the rest of the pumps. It will be like having regular brakes with out using vacume. Just keep an eye on the cycles of the pump as to not have it wear out and blow. This system has a lifetime warrantee at the dealer.

jpcherokeekid said:
its an easy swap. i have a 94 so i upgraded to the bigger booster and M/C while i was at it, which was out of a 95. all i did was cut the brakelines that come from the ABS to the wheels just above the wheel well. then i bent some new shorter lines coming from the proportioning valve to the cut lines which i fitted with the proper conections. here are some pics.

100_1892.jpg

100_1891.jpg

Everything works just the way its supposed to and i can actually stop now. hope this helps

Hey, we are right in the middle of this now, with the 8.8 install. Did you replace your proportioning valve when you swapped in the '95 booster? Thanks!

I just "acquired" (traded for) a '89 Limited that has this junk, and guess what... the thing just slows down, never fully stops. Oh, well, I bought it many for parts anyway... Anyone need a AW-4 tranny, maybe a NP242, or even a running 4.0? The floor rusted out under the rear seat so bad that it is past the step/bulkhead, and also into the front spring hanger. It really sad part is that the A/C works better in this thing than the A/C in my house (figures...).

mecompco said:
Hey, we are right in the middle of this now, with the 8.8 install. Did you replace your proportioning valve when you swapped in the '95 booster? Thanks!

not yet as the 8.8 is still sitting in my patio but i do have a proportioning valve out of a Grand that had four wheel disks that i will put in when i do my axle.

jpcherokeekid said:
not yet as the 8.8 is still sitting in my patio but i do have a proportioning valve out of a Grand that had four wheel disks that i will put in when i do my axle.

Ah, I read your sig and thought you already had it installed. I have been reading threads about swapping in WJ boosters and such, but the post '95 XJ swap looks easier. I wonder how much of a difference the WJ prop valve will make--I suppose one could just get an adjustable and go with that.

Anyway, thanks for posting the picture--we feel much better about the job seeing what you've done.

Back