• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Splash Shield

upstatejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
So I searched high and low and found a bunch of people with the same problem however not too many with a solution. My splash shield mounted under my engine is shot, I think the only thing holding it in place is my 30 and steering. I've read talk of replacements being found for 20 bucks. Does anyone have a link to where I can get one? I live in the Northeast and I'd like to keep it in place. Thanks.

I made another one out of an old mudflap from my Freightliner. It is about 3/8" thick, and I am pretty sure that it will out last my Jeep.

So.....I like the idea of something a little more durable than the original. But without the original how'd you fab it up? Just throw it up there and start drilling or what? I'd like to hear more.

I remember someone here was going to make out of aluminum or something, flashing maybe. I need to do mine too, the only thing holding the thing up is my from skid plate.

Does anyone have a pic of the shield mounted up? I dont think that I have one of these on mine? Did all XJ's come with these?

hmmmm...my XJ never had one....think it would be smart of me to add one?

edit: I cant get the link in the previous post to work.. :(

When I made my "new" one, I was actually able to use my old one for most of the template. Maybe, you can find an old shot one in the local 'yard to use for a template? Oh, and adding one if your XJ never had it would be a good idea, if you ever have to go through mud. It helps ALOT more than what you would think, espcially for the poor alternator hanging way down there.

I couldn't get the link to work either, but would like to see it.

My original splash shield lasted for 19 years, so I guess I shouldn't complain. When I was changing my alt I just ripped it off. It was shot anyhow from oil leaks. Plus I was really angry after having to get the factory skid plate off which hadn't moved since assembly in Ohio I'm sure.

Plan to put it off road and guess I need to add it.

Don't know why you guys would be having problems with the link (that's the internet though), but I'll repost it here.

As promised, here is the info on my aluminum splash shield.

My stock splash shield had deteriorated to the point that every time I patched it, another area would tear and the shield wouldn’t stay in place.

Keep in mind that the splash shield provides for more than just keeping crap out of the engine compartment. It is also designed to aid in cooling the engine. In case anyone is in doubt, here is a direct quote from Langer1 at NAXJA, “That little narrow opening where the air goes in needs all the help you can give it. With the front down just a little and the shields in place you create a vacuum under the front that helps pull air through the radiator.

With the front up and the shield missing your create high pressure under the front that the fans must overcome.”

Rather than ordering a new splash shield and since I had a sheet of aluminum and to save a few bucks and maybe have a better shield, I decided to fabricate my own. As you can see, the aluminum I had wasn’t going to directly match the OEM shield in size and would require it to be cut and spliced together.
mini-img_0012.jpg

After cutting, riveting and tracing on the pattern.
mini-img_0014.jpg

Now the pattern is cut and the holes drilled (the holes weren’t exactly dead on as the OEM shield had stretched quite a bit. I had to mod the holes when it was mounted in place, but at least they were close).
mini-img_0015.jpg

An here it is, mounted in place.
mini-img_0016.jpg

Now don’t everyone go out and try to fab your own out of aluminum or sheetmetal. There are problems involved. Mostly, trying to get the >%?# thing up in place. With the OEM variety it was easy to bend, fold corners and tuck everything to get it to fit around the suspension. This was a major PIA to get in place and when I have to drop the splash shield again, it will be another PIA. Fortunately it was aluminum and not sheet metal.
That would have been worse.

Since I have a riveted seam, I’m thinking I can use screws to hold it together and that would make it easier to install and remove. I’ll see how that works next time. Other than fitment, I like the way it covers the bottom. Only time will tell on my overall satisfaction.

No matter what, anyone that does not have a shield and uses their XJ for a DD or drives a lot in mud, I strongly urge you to get one. Either try the JY or if you want a new one, here is a link where you can purchase them. http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=JAU&Category_Code=CHEROKEE

When mine ripped I took a plastic milk or OJ carton and cut 2 pieces of plastic, put 1 on the botton and 1 on top of the splash shield and stapled them together. I also reinforced one of the mounting holes that way also. So far so good - I did have to redo one of the mends but it seems to be holding up fairly well.

Back