• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lookin for D shackles

My local indi offroad shop had a giant box of them a while back, I bought like 8 for $5 each or something.

Check your local stores.

Do you have a Fastenal near you?

Sometimes ACE hardware will them also (at least my local one does).

Jess said:
I buy mine at Northern for about $10 each (3/4 inch)

I've seen those but never looked at their capacity. The ones I have are scrounged from a used construction equipment lot that sells used backhoes and bulldozers and roadgraders and such. Mine are rated as 4 tons each stamped into each one.

don't any of you have a tractor store nearby?

cumorglas said:
don't any of you have a tractor store nearby?

Yep, Tractor Supply (TSC) has a good selection of d-rings. I picked up a set of 4 rings that have a "twist" in them so the strap doesn't get bound up when pulling; here's a pic:

HPIM0677.jpg

HPIM0676.jpg

Edit: Looks like the closest TSC to you is ~ 1 hour away in Indiana. I would imagine someone would ship you a set from their local TSC.

Last edited:
Those twisted clevis hooks from TSC are exactly what I have too, $8 at the local john deere dealer, if you have any close tractor dealerships (new holland, kubota, JD etc) they should all have those clevis hooks, for $8 they are just as strong as the $20 Warn ones. I don't have any complaints about mine.

bullitt9350 said:
Yep, Tractor Supply (TSC) has a good selection of d-rings. I picked up a set of 4 rings that have a "twist" in them so the strap doesn't get bound up when pulling; here's a pic:

HPIM0677.jpg

HPIM0676.jpg

Edit: Looks like the closest TSC to you is ~ 1 hour away in Indiana. I would imagine someone would ship you a set from their local TSC.

I may have this all wrong but I heard that the D shackles with the T pin and spring pin were not supposed to be used for recovery. Mine are smaller but have the threaded pin through them. Anybody else ever heard that? In fact they turned away one guy at an off road park until someone loaned him some of my type D shackles and he had a complete set of the T pin type.

Dunno... I've never had a problem. Is the theory that if a load is placed on the pin, it could bend/break vs. a threaded pin that wouldn't? I like the quick release of the pin over the threaded pins that you sometimes have to use a screwdriver to break loose.

I guess the pin being a weak point would make sense, on a hard side pull, but I figure they are sold for loggers and farmers, so if they can stand up to a tractor or skidder they can take a dinky little jeep.
But then again, thats just me....

mikeforte said:
I may have this all wrong but I heard that the D shackles with the T pin and spring pin were not supposed to be used for recovery. Mine are smaller but have the threaded pin through them. Anybody else ever heard that? In fact they turned away one guy at an off road park until someone loaned him some of my type D shackles and he had a complete set of the T pin type.

I've heard this argument before and can't prove it either way but I do carry both on my Jeep. I like the pin type for easier removal and they tend to have a larger loop in them which could be less strain on the strap hoop, dunno.

Round Pin Shackles...
gs213.jpg

Are not designed for side loading... ever. The pin does nothing to keep the shackle from deforming on a side load. If your lucky they will just bend and be useless. If your not they could fail catastrophically.

Screw Pin Shackles...
gs209.jpg

Can be used in side load applications. Their working load limit goes down considerably in this application. They are not to be used where the line or rope could run over the pin and open the shackle (mostly in overhead lifting applications)

Bolt Type Shackles...
gs2130.jpg

Can be used in all of the above applications and are great for long term or permanent applications.

monkeyevil said:
catastrophically.

I bet the ol' spellchecker came in handy on that one didn't it big guy?
:dunce:

Back