• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding Overhead Console

gaoutlaw07

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I have seen other posts discussing the overhead console but I want the down and dirty. What do I need to add a stock overhead console to a 97 XJ that has never had one? Is it really that tough to do, because it would the first thing on these vehicles that is tough to do that I've seen?

TRy this site for your answer: www.gojeep.com
He has the write up on this and many other things you might want answered in the future. His site would be an excellent one to bookmark.

Use the Advanced Search function to read the other threads on the Forum about adding a console.

You will need a 1997 to 2001 console, a wire harness that is from the exact same year as your XJ ( unless you are a good electronics tech ), the mounting bracket and the temp sensor.

Yep As long as you get a 97-01 console it will work. The plug down behind the glove box differs from year to year, but the wire colors are the same. All you will have to do if you get a different year harness is to separate plug from the non trip harness, and replace it the the one on the trip harness. It is not hard, and you can just swap the pins if your not into actually cutting wires. One thing you have to watch is there are two white/black tracer wires in the harnesses. One is a 12+ (and goes to fuse #9 at least on my 00 it did), and the other is the CCD buss wire. You can trace the 12+ one with your DMM. Don,t forget to get the roof bracket for the full console, and the temp sender from behind the grill.

Something that was useful to me.....The wrecking yard guy let me cut the middle part of the headliner out of the donor. Took the "template" home and traced out needed cut out on my stock headliner. Made it fit like factory.

does anybody know if this came from a jeep cherokee? I bought it on E-bay and the guy assured me that it came from a 1998 Jeep Cherokee. However I was told by someone that it probably came from a Dodge Caravan and that I got ripped off.

DSC00294.jpg

DSC00293.jpg

Boyjeepin, that console is from a Chrysler mini van.

Back