• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about line wrenches, flare nuts, and bleeding brakes

JoshRountree

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to bleed my brakes soon because I don't think it's ever been done and my Jeep has 102,000 miles on it.

What type of wrench do I need. I keep hearing about line wrenches for a flare nut, and that I should only use that to prevent rounding the nut off. I'm going to buy some wrenches to do this, what should I buy? Metric, SAE, open, box-end, line wrench? It's an 1998 Sport I6 4wd. And, will I be able to use these to replace the brake cylinders on the rear brakes as well?

I've found some crow foot flare nut wrenches, and they're expensive, http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=118&group_ID=265. Is this what I need?

Thanks

Well, looks like I should have searched a bit before asking this question. I thought I had searched everywhere, but I found an article describing wrenches. Looks like I only need the flare nut wrench to remove the brake line going into the cylinder.

But for the bleeder screw, what size should I buy?

Also, just a side question, are all the nuts bolts on the Jeeps SAE, metric, or a combination?

***Edit***
Wow, man do I feel dumb now. I just had one of those light bulb moments while reading wikipedia. A flare nut wrench is no different than other wrenches in regards to size, but provides more grip than an open-end, but it allows you to get over the brake line, fuel line, etc.

Last edited:
combination of SAE, metric, torx, allen, as well as bubblegum and band aids for many of them!!:roll:

Your '98 should mostly be metric and torx, but a complete set of every-damn-thing-ever-made will cover most projects:eeks1:

good luck with it
--Shorty

Shorty said:
combination of SAE, metric, torx, allen, as well as bubblegum and band aids for many of them!!:roll:

Your '98 should mostly be metric and torx, but a complete set of every-damn-thing-ever-made will cover most projects:eeks1:

good luck with it
--Shorty

hahaha, thanks, guess I start with a set of metric combination box/open wrenches.

Anybody have any brand preference, Northern tool, craftsmen, snap-on?

Oh yeah, should I get 6 point, or 12 point? My understanding is that you can use a 12 point wrench on a 6 point nut, correct? It just allows more movement in tight situations?

Stick with Craftsman. American made, lifetime guarantee, can't beat it. And I can't remember the exact size, but it's metric and it's damn small. 8mm? I believe I used a boxed end 6 point when I bled mine about two months ago.

Snap On, Matco, & Mac make the best wrenches & sockets. They are designed to grab on the flat parts of the bolts instead of the corners. Quite expensive though. For someone not using them everyday, Craftsman or SK are good alternatives. Sears has some nice complete sets in the couple hundred dollar range that include most of what you'll need in the future. Good place to start. And like the profesional grade tools, they have lifetime waranty. Use six points whenever possible. If your going to buy only one type, go w/ 6 point, less chance of rounding of bolts. Some of the craftsman sets have both. Look for a "mechanics" set that will include torx and allens, they'll come in handy. In the future, if you decide to buy profesional grade stuff, use the craftsman stuff to make a tool kit to carry in your jeep. Don't waste your time with the off brand stuff, it will either break or round off fasteners...hope this helps...For your bleeder screws, break them open with a 6 point socket first, then use a wrench to bleed, the snug them back up with the socket

Last edited:
bfred said:
Snap On, Matco, & Mac make the best wrenches & sockets. They are designed to grab on the flat parts of the bolts instead of the corners. Quite expensive though. For someone not using them everyday, Craftsman or SK are good alternatives. Sears has some nice complete sets in the couple hundred dollar range that include most of what you'll need in the future. Good place to start. And like the profesional grade tools, they have lifetime waranty. Use six points whenever possible. If your going to buy only one type, go w/ 6 point, less chance of rounding of bolts. Some of the craftsman sets have both. Look for a "mechanics" set that will include torx and allens, they'll come in handy. In the future, if you decide to buy profesional grade stuff, use the craftsman stuff to make a tool kit to carry in your jeep. Don't waste your time with the off brand stuff, it will either break or round off fasteners...hope this helps...For your bleeder screws, break them open with a 6 point socket first, then use a wrench to bleed, the snug them back up with the socket

Got a torque spec for that bleeder screw?

Craftsman get my vote. I have some Snap-on and Mac plus some Cornwell, but I used to be a mechanic and paid for them a little at a time. My Craftsman tools have a similar guarantee and they can be replaced right away if needed just return to Sears. With the others you have to turn them in and usually wait for a replacement to be ordered. Some dealers will replace them right away if it is in stock but that varies dealer to dealer.
I just say buy the best you can afford for regular daily use and buy some cheap HF stuff to keep with you that you can lose because you will lose stuff used on the trail. Another thing about trail tools buy the high vizability tools or put some high viz tape/paint on them so you can see them in the weeds. That is my 2 cents worth, take the advice or ignore it....up to you.

JoshRountree said:
Why such a HUGE price difference between Snap-On, Matco, MAC, Craftsman Pro and just plain old Craftsman? The type of steel used?

I'm still using the same snap on ratchet that my father used for 20+ years in a performance shop, and I believe his father used on the farm before that.

It feels like it was brand new. Craftsman tools (and other lesser brands) just don't hold up like that.

mikeforte said:
Another thing about trail tools buy the high vizability tools or put some high viz tape/paint on them so you can see them in the weeds. That is my 2 cents worth, take the advice or ignore it....up to you.

Y'all are gonna hate this, but aside from that reflective tape (That scratches off anyway...) the best damn hi-visibility color is... HOT PINK. Seriously, we use it on safety pins up on the derrick of oil rigs all the time and it is way easier to see than the orange or yellow stuff.

Besides, how many guys do you know who would even ACCIDENTALLY walk off with a pink handled wrench?

jesterbomb said:
Y'all are gonna hate this, but aside from that reflective tape (That scratches off anyway...) the best damn hi-visibility color is... HOT PINK. Seriously, we use it on safety pins up on the derrick of oil rigs all the time and it is way easier to see than the orange or yellow stuff.

Besides, how many guys do you know who would even ACCIDENTALLY walk off with a pink handled wrench?
for some reason, I am now invisioning the Village People shooting a video on an oil rig...LOL

If you can, get 6 point for things like your bleeder screws, they tend to grip better, round off less on stubborn bleeders.

TrueBlueXJ said:
Stick with Craftsman. .

Not to bash your choice but as an aircraft mechanic for 16 years I can tell you that Craftsman quality has gone in the toilet since Sears has had financial troubles. I used to use craftsman tools but when you round off $250 bolts because the jaws of your wrench spread, your boss gets pissed. I now use Snap-on, Mac, and some S&K spline wrenches. I know they are expensive but those flare fittings and bleeder screws can be some tight mothers and they round off very easily. For me, it's better to cough up some cash and have peace of mind that I won't be drilling out a broken fitting. JMHO

jeeperjohn said:
Not to bash your choice but as an aircraft mechanic for 16 years I can tell you that Craftsman quality has gone in the toilet since Sears has had financial troubles. I used to use craftsman tools but when you round off $250 bolts because the jaws of your wrench spread, your boss gets pissed. I now use Snap-on, Mac, and some S&K spline wrenches. I know they are expensive but those flare fittings and bleeder screws can be some tight mothers and they round off very easily. For me, it's better to cough up some cash and have peace of mind that I won't be drilling out a broken fitting. JMHO
No hard feelings. I like Craftsman because a) it's American made, b) it's a little more in my price range, c) lifetime guarantee, d) easily replaced - just go to Sears and get a new one. And there's no $250 bolts on a Jeep, so the Craftsman tools in my garage do just fine. I've used every ratchet set known to man, from Mac to Snap-On to the J.A. Pan company, and Craftsman ratchets seem to hold up the best, whether I'm pulling the sprockets on a dozer or tightening a bolt on the Jeep. As far as wrenches go, Mac is prob. the best, but like I said, Craftsman holds up to the rigors I put it through, and if something breaks, all I have to do is cuss, throw it, go find it, and take it to Sears for a new one. :D

Craftsman holds up to the rigors I put it through, and if something breaks, all I have to do is cuss, throw it, go find it, and take it to Sears for a new one.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
You must have the old stuff as I do. The old CM was as good as anything and much of there stuff still is. I have a CM 1/2 inch ratchet that has had a 4 foot pipe on it more then once. Still works fine. But don't do that with the new stuff. There torque wrench (clicker) suck.

I used to blow out 1 Craftsman 3/8 ratchet a month like clockwork when I used to wrench on m/c's. The Snap-On replacement never did break. I'm an auto tech these days and use mostly air tools, and for those I would avoid Snap-On entirely.

I gotta say the only problem I've had with Craftsman sockets is the chrome peeling off. I've never broken one. I did strip the inside of a 1/4" socket trying to turn self drilling sheetmetal screws though.

I have a mix of Craftsman and Snap-on with a hodge-podge of cheapos. My Craftsman's are mostly SAE wrenches and sockets that I purchased over 30 years ago. My Snap-ons are mostly metric when I worked as a motorcycle mech (back in the late 70's/early 80's) . I recently (within the last few years) purchased some Craftsman screwdrivers to replace ones I've lost over the years. I'm not thrilled with the finish over the older ones but they fit OK.

My cheapos are the Walmart/Big Lots variety. These are mostly my "loaners" and the ones I bend/grind/cut/shorten to make a "special" tool.

Certainly, regardless of your choice of brands, good tools cost a lot. However, they are an investment you will make good use of for years to come. My son will continue using them for many years once I'm gone (he'll have to wait a long time though!) ;)

For the most part I use sockets more than any other tool, and Craftsman ratchets hold up like troopers. I've had breaker bars on and used my legs to break bolts loose and the teeth and shaft of the ratchet both survived. Next to come-alongs, I can't imagine putting more stress on a ratchet.

Back