• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy with a question.

YeaILift

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys I am new and looking for my first jeep. I found this 90 xj laredo a local guy has for sale for 1000.00 I told him i would give him 700. It has 238k miles on it the paint is pretty rough but seems mechanically sound. I dont know how much these things are worth or how long they last with those kinda miles any help would be great. BTW this will be a toy not a daily driver I plan on beating up anything I get off road here its suppose to be. Is there anythin I should look for?

okjeep4.jpg

okjeep3.jpg

okjeep1.jpg

okjeep.jpg

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24716&highlight=highest+miles
Take a look at this thread and it will give you some insight as to the longevity of the 4.0. 700 doesn't sound like a horrible deal to me... albeit people find better deals all the time. If its running in good shape, it looks like a decent investment. As most will tell you, when you get it, do all your basic maintenance. Oil change, spark plugs, distributor, coolant flush, change trans fluid/filter (don't have it flushed the tranny probably won't like it), and go on and get a transmission cooler and install it while you are working on your trans fluid ( the auto transmissions will last a long time if you keep them cool).

I assumed you drove it? Did you cycle the 4Wd through all selections? Observe all the gages? Turn on every switch?

Then inspect the door hinges. Grab each door while open and lift them up to check for play and cracks.

Look in engine bay for any significant oil/coolant leaks.

Look inside the aircleaner box for signs of oil. This is blowby and could be a sign of serious problem, or simply a clogged tube. If you see some, you should attempt a compression check.

Look underneath between the eng and tranny for signs of oil. Most likely you'll see a lot. If so, maybe a bad crank seal.

Hard to tell in the picture, but the coolant bottle looks discolored. Is it the bottle or the coolant in the bottle?

For $700-1000, it's going to need some work. You should just make sure you know as much as possible so you can figure out it's "true" cost. That's the cost of buying, plus the cost of fixing everything it need to be a reliable DD.

cklaus said:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24716&highlight=highest+miles
Take a look at this thread and it will give you some insight as to the longevity of the 4.0. 700 doesn't sound like a horrible deal to me... albeit people find better deals all the time. If its running in good shape, it looks like a decent investment. As most will tell you, when you get it, do all your basic maintenance. Oil change, spark plugs, distributor, coolant flush, change trans fluid/filter (don't have it flushed the tranny probably won't like it), and go on and get a transmission cooler and install it while you are working on your trans fluid ( the auto transmissions will last a long time if you keep them cool).

Thnx. I didnt want to seem dumb but I have done nothing but mustangs for the last 5 years but am switching to off-road cuz the wole family can go and have fun.

Check the steering components such as tie rod ends and track bar bushings and replace any worn components. This will eliminate any chances of the dreaded death wobble before it happens. Check the u joints on the driveshafts and listen for noises from the axle u joints in the front.
Just a couple of suggestions from past experience.
This could be an excellent buy @ $700. Wish I had only bought either of mine that cheap. Im jealous.

Well, I ended up getting it for 600 bux. Do I understand correctly that this has a cad front diff? I had a ramcharger with the same thing and hated it.

what rear end does it have, you could be sitting on a gold mine...

oh wait... 90, maybe not.

the dana 30 is a pretty stout front end. works good all the way up until you go full width... yours will be vacuum disco, which sometimes tend to malfunction, and the split shaft becomes the week point..

looks like a decent buy for 600 if it runs ok

rocklandxjer said:
what rear end does it have, you could be sitting on a gold mine...

oh wait... 90, maybe not.

the dana 30 is a pretty stout front end. works good all the way up until you go full width... yours will be vacuum disco, which sometimes tend to malfunction, and the split shaft becomes the week point..

looks like a decent buy for 600 if it runs ok

Runs great no smoke no leaks the a/c even blows cold but the paint looks like crap but a couple cars of black primer will help that out. Im gonna order a lift and tires tomorrow.

fyi, primer paint will retain moisture therefor expediting the rusting process. Paint it with flat black rustoleoum or something of that sort.

cklaus said:
fyi, primer paint will retain moisture therefor expediting the rusting process. Paint it with flat black rustoleoum or something of that sort.

Or option 2, hit it with 200 grit and ,rattle can it barbie-doll pink. Throw in some krylon "frog poop" green racing stripes and you got a hot rod. LOL

J/K-My first xj was an 89 for 700 bucks. It was tough as nails and turned out to be a great investment. With all those mile- Start protecting your tranny (cooler and such), Great buy - have fun

That's a strange looking wear pattern in the paint. Is there any chance this vehicle was sitting in a lake or something? I would check the frame real good for rot and pull up some carpet to look at the floors before investing bucks for fun goodies.

scca28 said:
That's a strange looking wear pattern in the paint. Is there any chance this vehicle was sitting in a lake or something? I would check the frame real good for rot and pull up some carpet to look at the floors before investing bucks for fun goodies.

You cant really tell from those pics but the whole top if the paint is faded it look pretty weird to me as well. I checked it over real well and didnt find anything weird.

almost looks as though it was sitting out in an open space and the wind was "sandblasting" it. I've see that around here ( I live on the beach), but don't know how much sand and salt you'd see or how long it's sat.:dunno:
--Shorty

Shorty said:
almost looks as though it was sitting out in an open space and the wind was "sandblasting" it. I've see that around here ( I live on the beach), but don't know how much sand and salt you'd see or how long it's sat.:dunno:
--Shorty
I live in oklahoma. You can see the paint is like that on the hood in the first pic. As long as the running gear was good I am happy.

Back