• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

freak problem

habibi

NAXJA Forum User
so i was drivin down the high way in my 98 xj 4.5 lift on 33s when transmission oil started to boil out of my hood. the plastic radiator fan broke and cut the tranny line coming out of the radiator. think of oil everywhere whole side of car the whole engine bay EVERYWHERE! so that wasnt bad fixed it up nice... the next day the tps went out (crazy idle) fixed that the next day no problem. ran for a couple days perfect then yesterday i was drivin and it wouldnt stay on! as soon as i let go of the gas she shuts right off! so i asked a buddy and he was like its the iacv.. i was like off yea that... :sure: so he told me to just come by he had one from a old motor. i went by there and picked her up... installed her in a giff and drove for a little then on my way to work she started to shift funny. she wouldnt go into 3rd... then she cut off again at a stop. so im ordering a new iacv but i was wondering if the tranny problems could be bc of that too? i really cant invest ina tranny right now im broke. im hoping the new iacv will fix everything but i can only hope for the best let me know if you have any advice!

just off the top of my head, i wanna say the transmission gets its info from the TPS from previous posts i have read.

I'd check fluid level as well as condition-- if it was running with the hose broken, it wasn't receiving cool fluid and may have burnt the remaining fluid. Pull dipstick and give it a good sniff-- if the fluid doesn't smell like new fluid, I'd drain and refill.

--Shorty

RaccoonJoe said:
agreed. At least on the older Jeeps, the TPS controls a lot of the shift points and such.
And it still does. When my TPS began to fail back in december, my tranny would randomly pop out of OD while driving down the road (not cool on the highway), and at the same time would have a high idle and jerk like mad when I went to take off.

Check the fluid level and color. If it looks and smells burnt, do a fluid and filter change (not hard at all). If you've completely lost 3rd gear, i'm a bit surprised that a trouble code isn't being thrown, either engine or tranny trouble code. It is possible that you have a sensor on the tranny going bad, as the AW4 is completely electronically controled.

Disconnect all the electrical connectors under the hood and spray them out with electrical contact cleaner. The tranny fluid probably seeped into your connectors and changed the resistance in the connections.

Back