• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Safe Rear Seat ?

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ and have a couple of concerns when it comes to the rear seat. I have a three month old daughter and the factory rear seat does not seem safe enough to me. If anyone can help me with the questions I have listed below that would be awsome.

1. The base of the seat sags a lot especialy when the car seat is titened. Does anyone make an aftermarket seat that is stiffer and better in quality?

2.Since my XJ is a 2000 there are no ankers for the car seat base. This forces me to use the seat belt. The car seat base strap that attaches to ankers are a lot safer than the seat belt. Can I buy ankers for a 2001 XJ and instal them on a 2000 XJ?

Yep you can put anchors in any rig. They say this is the best way to set up for a car seat. As for better base. It wasnt really intended for car seats but for butts. It shouldnt really matter how much it sags as long as the car seat is quite secure and dosent move back and forth or side to side. Remember car seats are not designed to be put in or pulled out durring a pit stop. They take time and care to make sure your little one is secure, not 3.5 seconds.

Do tou know if the ankers for a 2001 XJ are weld in or bolt in? I have never seen a 2001 XJ before.

Here is a pic and a quote from that page about your sagging seat problem

knee.seatsequal.500.jpg

Put your weight into it! Use your knee and all of your body weight, if possible, to press the car seat into the vehicle seat cushion, then tighten the straps.

Go to your local fire station and ask for a licensed carseat inspector to show you how to properly anchor the carseat in place.

420, huh? Yup, classic example.

chris420 said:
I have a 2000 XJ and have a couple of concerns when it comes to the rear seat. I have a three month old daughter and the factory rear seat does not seem safe enough to me. If anyone can help me with the questions I have listed below that would be awsome.

1. The base of the seat sags a lot especialy when the car seat is titened. Does anyone make an aftermarket seat that is stiffer and better in quality?

2.Since my XJ is a 2000 there are no ankers for the car seat base. This forces me to use the seat belt. The car seat base strap that attaches to ankers are a lot safer than the seat belt. Can I buy ankers for a 2001 XJ and instal them on a 2000 XJ?

These factory anchors you are wondering about are called the LATCH system and were not mandated to be installed until 2003. They do not exist in any prior models.

The seat belts work great for me. You just have to put all your weight pushing down on the seat while you yank on the belt. My seat squashes down pretty good when I do that. In fact I think I can get them tighter with the belt in my XJ than with the LATCH system in my wife's Mazda6.

My 90 has self locking buckles and the little brass belt clamp thingy isn't necessary. I don't know about newer models. My Durango has a loose buckle and it requires the brass thingy.

Picsending5-30-06065.jpg

There is a child seat anchor made specifically for XJ's (and a couple of other Chrysler models) that is available from the dealer. I'll see if I still have the part number somewhere at home. There is a dimple in the rear shackle hanger that you drill through to install the anchor. It ends up right next to the trim in the corner of the cargo area. Do NOT use the cargo tie down points for a car seat.

This is for the car seats with a single anchor strap coming off of the back, NOT the newer LATCH system.

EDIT: Part # 5003422AB - It was under $10 from the dealer.

Last edited:
spaulman said:

Get it, Install it, Use it.........That is the only safe thing to do if you value your children.

No problem. I actually had the first one installed by the dealer for free 6 1/2 years ago as a warranty/recall item. When I tried to get another for a different XJ earlier this year, they charged me for it.

For those who have these installed... did you use the 1/2 inch spacer? The directions mention it, the diagram doesn't show it being used. I see where it is used for the 'other' vehicles as it is clear in those diagrams.

I can't see why it would be needed, but uh, you know, just making sure.

I second DOODA's comments. I can strap the car seats down better in the XJ than in the wife's 4-Runner where I have to use the brass thingy.

I think we have two different converstions going on. The part number given is for attaching the top tether strap to a hook (for lack of a better term) in the cargo area (different from the cargo tie downs).

The LATCH system that was mandatory in 2003 consists of "hooks" between the back and bottom of the seat that secure the base of the car seat.

smccollamjr said:
I second DOODA's comments. I can strap the car seats down better in the XJ than in the wife's 4-Runner where I have to use the brass thingy.

I think we have two different converstions going on. The part number given is for attaching the top tether strap to a hook (for lack of a better term) in the cargo area (different from the cargo tie downs).

The LATCH system that was mandatory in 2003 consists of "hooks" between the back and bottom of the seat that secure the base of the car seat.

Exactly. Except the LATCH system has 3 anchor points. 2 between the seat back and bottom and 1 behind the seat.

The brass thingy sucks. Especially if you have twins and have to move 2 car seats between cars.

Hi guys I am a late on the reply. Thanks for all the help. The anchors are on back order from the dealer so I will need to wait. The problem I am dealing with is the spring like rear seat. When I strap down the car seat it is very tight however the car seat vibrates a lot because the seat is very springy. With the ancors I am thinking the car seat will be pulled back into the seat and not down elimanating the spingyness. Does anyone know of a company that makes an after market rear seat for the XJ? 420 could mean two things 1 I am a pot head or 2 that is my retired motocross # or both.

I've had carseats in both my '01 and my '99 XJs using just the seatbelt. I just kneeled on it and tightened the belt as much as possible. Go back in a day and re-tighten b/c the seat cushion will compress a bit. I've always had my seats inspected by the local PD and they had no problems with my installations. The seats I used were Britax, but I forget the exact model.

Britax are good seats I have PegPerego. The car seat is tite it just bounces up and down a bit because the seat is springy.

There is a child seat anchor made specifically for XJ's (and a couple of other Chrysler models) that is available from the dealer. I'll see if I still have the part number somewhere at home. There is a dimple in the rear shackle hanger that you drill through to install the anchor. It ends up right next to the trim in the corner of the cargo area. Do NOT use the cargo tie down points for a car seat.

This is for the car seats with a single anchor strap coming off of the back, NOT the newer LATCH system.

I know this is an old post, but where did you find it for under $10? My local dealer (ottawa, canada) wants $65 and www.chryslerjeepdodgeparts.com wants $35.

It really pisses me off that they want so much money for something that sounds pretty simple and is necessary for safety reasons.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for an inexpensive place to get one?

Back