• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep pulls hard under acceleration since locker install

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my theory at hand here is that since installing this powertrax no slip, 2/3 times i accelerate, only 1 rear wheel is receiving power.

either taking off, or just accelerating at speed, The jeep will pull hard one way or the other, how hard depending on how much gas i give. non-steering related, because at a certain point during accel itll instantly just start pulling straight again, or as soon as i let off the gas, either or. this is unlrelated to brakes as well, so thats ruled out. it has to be how the rear wheels are now receiving power after the install. Like i said at the start, this isnt the case ALL the time, just most of the time during accel.

any theories on this? prior experience? thanks a bunch guys

i dont know

i used to have a spool in it driving around for 6 months a few months ago and it never replicated this in any way close. i also had this same style locker in the jeep previously early last year and it also didnt do this

also the jeep will do it (pull) in either direction, not just 1

Last edited:
Mine does the same thing, D30 w/ same locker set up W/NP231 TC, its normal w/locker up front.

When I had a detroit in my rear axle it used to do strange things like that sometimes, and when it got really bad I noticed that one of the tires was like 8lbs lower than the other one. Once I aired them up the same, it fixed the problem. Not sure if that is your problem, but its worth a try.

Because of the way the dog clutches lock up in lockers, when you go around a corner, then step on the gas, the clutch on your outside tire may not be locked. If you catch it just right, the clutch may have to turn almost a full tooth before the clutch catches. This can be 10 or 15 degrees of revolution, depending on the number/width of teeth on the clutch. Unless you're spinning the tires, it could take a while for the "unlocked tire to catch. This is one of those "things" about lockers that make for interesting driving in the snow. It's normal. Try letting up on the gas a little(ya, right!).

This is also why manual lockers are better. Less guesswork as to when it'll engage (as in, only when you need it to). More expensive tho.

I run an Auburn Gear limited slip in my 8.25 right now, talk about guesswork as to when it'll engage... :dunno:

Drake69 said:
This is also why manual lockers are better. Less guesswork as to when it'll engage (as in, only when you need it to). More expensive tho.

I run an Auburn Gear limited slip in my 8.25 right now, talk about guesswork as to when it'll engage... :dunno:

LOL, also a lot more parts to break when it goes...

As for the PT No-Slip, mine never did that not even one time. If it were mind I'd pull it back apart and see if you actidentally installed one of the paddle spacers wrong... To me it sounds like that's what's happening and it's easy to do... also easy to replace I think they cost around 20.00. They can break easily if installed wrong but can take a huge beating when working properly...

Chris

Black sheep on POR answered it better than I could've when you posted it there.

Normal Quirks of a locker or tight posi, It goes one way when u get on it, and the other when u get off. Ive seen guys with hopped up engines actually lift tires on the street. But to answer your question its totally normal if its a little bit. If u are pulling into oncoming traffic or off the side of the road hard and are litterally having to fight the vehicle to keep it on the road then there is a problem. But for what its worth every locked vehicle ive owned driven or rode in did the same thing.

uncc civilengineer said:

As for the PT No-Slip, mine never did that not even one time. If it were mind I'd pull it back apart and see if you actidentally installed one of the paddle spacers wrong... To me it sounds like that's what's happening and it's easy to do... also easy to replace I think they cost around 20.00. They can break easily if installed wrong but can take a huge beating when working properly...

Chris

I concur.

darwin said:
if i didnt hold onto the steering wheel and just let it go, without question it would easily pull into oncomoing traffic right away or off the road, its a pretty substantial pull

i do think it should be pulled apart now to check, it definitely isnt right. ive had this locker before and it never did this

ill post this over there though, i forgot to even check thanks

HeavyMetal said:
if i didnt hold onto the steering wheel and just let it go, without question it would easily pull into oncomoing traffic right away or off the road, its a pretty substantial pull

i do think it should be pulled apart now to check, it definitely isnt right. ive had this locker before and it never did this

ill post this over there though, i forgot to even check thanks
My Detroit is sort of like that but its nothing that alarms me. If you've had a locker before and this is weird then I'd definitely follow the advice above.

yeah, it's either broke or it's just one of the mannerisms you'll have (as long as everything is installed correctly) i run no-slips front and rear, and if a paddle breaks you'll have no drive to one side. had my locker in the rear for 7 years before i broke one of the syncros, and i did that drivin down the street, go figure. it was just years of stress, i'm sure. good advice to check it though.

do a function check.

turn both wheels until they lock in one direction, then reverse the rotation and they should unlock, then spin the still locked wheel in reverse until it catches up with the free spinning wheel.
They should lock again.

detroit has real good instructions on the website on how to do it.

I will second the tire pressure thing, anytime my tire pressures were off my detroit did odd things.

Good luck with it man, I hated my no-slip.....stiiiill waiting on Aussie, lol.

darwin said:
Normal Quirks of a locker or tight posi, It goes one way when u get on it, and the other when u get off.
Mine has done that for years now,it can be really "exciting" on the freeway or a mountain road at times,but its just the way they work!

uncc civilengineer said:

Chris

I had the same problem with the no-slip. I ended up breaking one of those paddle spacers because I installed it incorrectly (I thought I could do it without reading directions on the 2nd time around... little details). All the power was going to one wheel. I would go ahead and check that. If thats not it, I have no idea.

Mine does the same thing. I'm guessing it's the nature of the beast. The locker does add some additional "backlash" as per stated in the user manual. Soo, that would cause the locker to transfer power from one axle to the other instantaneously when on and off the gas, causing a little "shimmy". I would think that if one of the "paddles" was broken that when you were to do the spin test or powerbrake it on pavement only one wheel would spin. Straight from the user manual," Should you make sudden throttle changes or shift gears, you may feel a slight transfer of torque from one wheel to the other until the torque equalizes."

Last edited:
Back