• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case problem

iBarsky

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the story: Was driving to work a couple of weeks ago when there was a sudden loud banging under my '96 XJ. When I got to a spot I could pull over I found that the front driveshaft's cv had come apart. The center ball thing had split and the ds had jammed into the floor pan of the XJ. While I was pulling the ds I noticed that about 3-4 inches of the t-case gasket was pushed out of the case. Not completely, but enough that there was a little fluid on the case. The XJ went down about a week later for a front axle swap and I shifted into 4wd for the first time today. The case acted like it didnt want to shift in and out of 4-hi and there was some noise. Afterward I checked the t-case and it looked like gasket was pushed out a little more. So, any ideas what I'm dealing with here, or suggestions about ways to determine how much damage has been done? Its a daily driver so I'd really rather not pull the entire case until I know what I'm dealing with.Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Back