• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Source for wiring harness connectors?

Rob Mayercik

NAXJA Member #920
NAXJA Member
Getting ready to do an electric mirror swap on my '92 (replacing manual with similar-vintage electric). I've got the mirrors, trim pieces, and control switch, but I'm having a little trouble sourcing the electrical connectors.

I'm planning to build my own harness, since it looks like my truck doesn't have the correct version of the body harness, and running my own wiring seems like the easier solution compared to a body harness swap.

I only need the connectors that the mirrors plug into and the one that the switch mates to, but the local parts shops and dealer haven't been of any help.

The next step is to start checking junkyards to see about cutting out the pieces I need or looking for someone who's parting out a rig with electric mirrors and seeing if they're willing to hack their harness, but I thought I'd also toss the question out here and see if anyone's already invented this particular wheel - after all, Jeep had to get them from somewhere to build the harnesses originally.

Anybody?

Rob

Sounds like you've already got it figured out with the junyard route. Probably already discontinued from jeep. You should be able to get replacement terminals though, if you get the used plastic connectors, napa has a good selection of the pins, or try a dealer...

The switch connectors, if OEM, will almost certainly be a huge headache - you'll want to source them from a JY harness. Clean and test thoroughly.

For the mirror connectors - what do they look like? You can usually find new Deustch and Delphi Weatherpacks at the local parts house, and crimp them up yourself in a few minutes. If they use a standard connection, I'd rather use new. If it's a funky OEM connection, I'd rather replace it with standard (but I'm funny that way.)

The switch connector is a single seven-pin affair (two rows of four, with one spot on the bottom not set up as a pin area.

The connectors on the mirrors are small 3-conductor units that with cross-section that looks to my eye like a box with rounded corners. Not quite oval/ellipsoidal, but not sharply square either. By eye, I'd wager on half an inch across by something between 1/4 and 1/2 inch tall.

I like the idea of just replacing the connectors on the mirrors themselves with something generic, but I did see a post in the NAC classified from someone parting out a '91 with power mirrors - time to send off a PM and see if I can strike a deal. I'll keep the off-the-shelf Deutsch/Delco option in reserve for the mirror ends.

Thanks, guys.

Rob

Rob Mayercik said:
The switch connector is a single seven-pin affair (two rows of four, with one spot on the bottom not set up as a pin area.

The connectors on the mirrors are small 3-conductor units that with cross-section that looks to my eye like a box with rounded corners. Not quite oval/ellipsoidal, but not sharply square either. By eye, I'd wager on half an inch across by something between 1/4 and 1/2 inch tall.

I like the idea of just replacing the connectors on the mirrors themselves with something generic, but I did see a post in the NAC classified from someone parting out a '91 with power mirrors - time to send off a PM and see if I can strike a deal. I'll keep the off-the-shelf Deutsch/Delco option in reserve for the mirror ends.

Thanks, guys.

Rob

Got pix? I've seen enough of these things that I can probably identify them for you - if I can't do it offhand, I know where to find comparison pix of most of these things...

I'll see if I can come up with some, though it probably won't happen tonight.

Rob

Back