• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air conditioning SQUEAL

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
Well, it's hot as balls out now-a-days (even with the windows down)... and every now and then when I'm sitting in traffic I need some cool air.

Anyways... Whenever I turn on the A/C and accelerate it makes this god awful squealing noise. But only when I accelerate. Once I let off the gas it goes away, but as soon as I touch the gas, it's back again. Is it a thrown bearing or something? Sometimes if I wait until I'm going 30 mph to turn the air on, it wont make the noise? Got any ideas?

I got the same issue with my 01. but it only does it randomly when 1st accellerating. after the 1st squeel, it genrally dont do it again till after i shut it off and start it again.

Just FYI, my belt is new and still does it. We have adjusted it tight as hell and a little looser. Just wanted to mention that for the Original poster, just incase he has already replaced his belt also.

AZRockRunner said:
Just FYI, my belt is new and still does it. We have adjusted it tight as hell and a little looser. Just wanted to mention that for the Original poster, just incase he has already replaced his belt also.

check the runout on the harmonic balancer and other pulleys-- make sure they're all perfectly aligned and then verify a minimum 12.5v is reaching the AC clutch coil.

--Shorty

If you've replaced the belt, it's more than likely the ac clutch is going out. The squealing you hear is it trying to grab. It not really that uncommon of a problem. You can either have the ac clutched replaced at the dealer for about $425, including parts and labor.

I'd say do it yourself, but I've never been able to find just the AC clutch itself anywhere; so I had the dealer do mine for the piece of mind and warranty...

eatsleepjeep said:
the serpenine belt is known to squeak, mine does it in hot weather too. usually only at startup.

I could never accept that answer-- It didn't do it the day it was bought, so it shouldn't do it now! I would first check everything in my previous post and clean all the pulleys-- if, after that, it still does it, I'd be looking for another belt. Remember that the squeal is the belt slipping (usually) and that generates a lot of heat. This will overheat the belt quickly and cause it to glaze on the ribs. If this has happened, you will need a new belt to correct it.

--Shorty

If you can get it to squeal while you have the hood open, try spraying a small amount of belt dressing or brake clean on the belt. If it quiets it, you can bet it has something to do with the belt. Bad/old belt, improper tension, or sometimes even new cheap belts will do this. Pulley alignment (usually not an issue if everything's stock) or bad a/c clutch are also options, but I would try belt first...and keep your fingers crossed!

I'd bet it's the belt, tighten the heck out of it. It should be damn tight. Maybe borrow a tension gauge or ask a mechanic to check the tension. Belt dressing is good for verifying that it's belt slippage but don't use it more than once or it can damage the belt. Of course it could be the AC clutch or bearings.

Do you get any belt squeal from your power steering pump pully when you turn the wheels to full lock? If so your belt is too lose.

AZRockRunner said:
I got the same issue with my 01. but it only does it randomly when 1st accellerating. after the 1st squeel, it genrally dont do it again till after i shut it off and start it again.
This is exactly what my 99 is doing, and has done since last summer. Its odd, it will only do it once the engine is warmed up atleast once that day. For example, if I have to be in at work in the morning, i'll usually ride with the windows down since its still nice out. Later that afternoon when I leave to go home, when its 90+, i'll crank up the engine, and turn on the A/C, and it will start chirping at idle speed. The minute I step on the gas it squeels like mad for a few seconds, then shuts up...and wouln't do it again the rest of the day.

However, if I dont have to be into work till afternoon/evening, and I havent driven anywhere that day, and fire up the a/c with a "cold" engine (read: not being run since the day before), it doesn't make a peep.

For now i'm just living with it. If the a/c clutch goes out, so be it. I'll live with out a/c for a while untill I can get it fixed. I've checked the tension in the belt and its plenty tight, and it looks to be in good shape too.

The A/C electromagnetic clutch went out on my 2001 last year. It made a terrible squeal when the A/C compressor engaged.
The clutch was not available separately so I bought a rebuilt compressor and swapped just the clutch assembly, eliminating the need to discharge and recharge the system.

I've got the same problem on my '99. It only does it when the when I first start running the A/C. Once its been on for a bit it doesn't make the noise anymore. I've took it to a shop once and of course no noise, they looked around check a bunch of things and couldn't find anything.
I figure run it till it blows and maybe replace it.

lazyxj said:
The A/C electromagnetic clutch went out on my 2001 last year. It made a terrible squeal when the A/C compressor engaged.
The clutch was not available separately so I bought a rebuilt compressor and swapped just the clutch assembly, eliminating the need to discharge and recharge the system.

Interesting way of doing it. a new/aftermarket compressor is pricey, but still alot cheaper than doing the whole thing when you take labor and the air charge into it.

did yours seize up fully or did you replace it before you got there? Mine is completely seized up now when engaged, shredded a belt last year. I'm hoping I can still replace just the clutch.

Just an update to my post in here....a month ago it got to the point where I couldn't even run the a/c at all....it wouldn't stop squeeling at idle, even after the initial squeel from first turning it on.....and I could hear a noticeable change in tone in the electric fan as well (A much lower tone, like it was really struggling). The belt seemed nice and tight, but just for kicks I backed off on the tension, then re-tensioned it again. Haven't heard a peep out of it since.

IslanderOffRoad said:
Interesting way of doing it. a new/aftermarket compressor is pricey, but still alot cheaper than doing the whole thing when you take labor and the air charge into it.
did yours seize up fully or did you replace it before you got there? .

Mine died the day before the beginning of our two week summer vacation so getting it fixed quick was of prime concern.
I could not find a supplier of the clutch alone, not even the local A/C supply house or the Jeep dealer had a line on one.
So I bit the bullet and bought a rebuilt compressor, changed the clutch after work and took off on vacation next morning. Better it happened at home than on the road, that would have been even more expensive.
The A/C has always works fine but if the compressor ever goes out, I have one waiting in the garage.

Hope your luck in finding a clutch is better than mine. If you do find one, please where you got it.

Back