• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

o2 sensor

Ba-Riedo

has frame envy
Where is the o2 sensor located? I just got my xj and i was thinking about replacing it because i hear that it will get you better gas mileage if its bad, and i at least want to clean it if its dirty.

Depending on the year it will have one or two. The first one is located in or right after the exhaust manifold. The second one is after the cat.

I wouldn't recommend cleaning it. Replace it or leave it alone. You will not get better mileage unless the existing one is not working properly.

Or you could have 4.....if you have an 00 or 01

JNickel101 said:
Or you could have 4.....if you have an 00 or 01
Yea you beat me to it. Could have 4.

What year?

alexer03 said:
Where is the o2 sensor located? I just got my xj and i was thinking about replacing it because i hear that it will get you better gas mileage if its bad, and i at least want to clean it if its dirty.

As my father use to say "if it ain't broke don't fix it". For 98 model take it down to autozone and have them run an OBD-II scan on it for free. If the O2 sensors are going bad, or are bad they will throw a code that the scanner will pick up.

If no error codes come up, then start with the usual suspects, frequently overlooked items like a new air filter, oil and oil filter change, new plugs, wires, and especially a new rotor and cap on the ignition system. Then have a muffler shop check the exhaust system for flow resctrictions. When Catalytic converters and mufflers start to go bad they start putting excessive back pressure on the engine exhaust causing poor mileage.

Where are the 4 on an '00? I looked underneath and two were plainly visible; one in front of the cat where the pipe bends to go toward the cat after the manifold, and the other between the cat and the muffler. Are the other two hidden somewhere? I didn't really look for them, just glanced underneath and found two right away.

I think there would only be 4 if it was a dual exhaust system with dual cats. maybe on V8s with dual exhausts only?

I know for a fact that the 01 TJ's have 4. I would assume they have the same header with the dual cats in it. One for each cat on the header, and one each after the cats.

Mudweiserjeep said:
I have a '87 4.0......about how much does a new O2 sensor cost....average?
Roughly $50-70, it also depends on OEM fit or universal. Usually a $5-$10 difference. I don't think the difference is worth splicing wires.
Tom

Mudweiserjeep said:
I have a '87 4.0......about how much does a new O2 sensor cost....average?

Warning, UNIVERSALS do not work on the 87 to 90 models. The Renix O2 sensors are different from the newer ones, so make sure you get the OEM 1987 Renix style, not the universal, for the 1987! I paid about $60-65 for mine, also an 87, got it at Autozone.

alexer03 said:
im gettin around 12-14 on 30's with no lift on my 98 4 liter with a auto trans

From what I have read you should be able to get 18 to 20 mpg highway easy with that year, if everything is working.

You can test the O2 sensors with a multi meter! Search the recent threads here for 'test oxygen sensor", and use "Ecomike" or "5-90" as posters in the advanced search tool of the OEM forum for the how to details.

Back