• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

intermittant clutch prob

xjpheonix

NAXJA Forum User
new to me xj 91 4.0 ho 5-speed new rebuilt engine
clutch pedal is the same at all times no change in force it takes to push or release
the problem lies when i drive the jeep alot the clutch pedal stops disengaging the clutch(not so much that the jeep wants to keep rollin but enough to were it wont come out of gear or go into 1st through 5th gear) i can then grind it into reverse untill the gears stop spinning apparently (no more grinding) then i can shift it into any gear i want if i do it within about 5 seconds or so
i have bleed the clutch with no change
shoujld i vacuum bleed?
i am not lookin forwad to yankin the trans for a slave but if i do will change all componants
sometimes clutch works perfect so one question i have is if this could be a trans prob that i am interpreting as a clutch prob?

thanks for all you thoughts on this dont wanna r&r a bad trans..

Your syncro gears could be worn, but rebuilding the clutch will help, especially R&R'ing the slave/throwout bearing. Also important to use GL-3 gear oil in the tranny, NOT GL-5, which has sulphur that corrodes the brass syncros. I use Red Line MTL or MT-90, synthetic GL-3 rated. It's pricey, but smoothes out the shifting in the AX-15. Takes just over 3 quarts to top off. I'd try that first, see if your shifting gets any better....Good luck.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=488,587_3118&action=product

thanks for the input..
would the syncros act differently at different temps?
because as i drive the shifting gets worse.
gotta love the internal slave...
i will try the mtl i have heard great things about it

Back