• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

glove box stuck shut

xj-boonie

NAXJA Forum User
So, my glove box is stuck shut. I'm guessing something in side must have gotten in the way when I shut it and is messing with the latch. Any ideas on how to get it open short of a crow bar? :)

Thanks,
Mike

saws all....

lol...j/k...can you get something thin in there, like a putty knife, to push whatever it is back or out of the way?

you could go on a really rough trail and hope it jars whatever is in there around and out of the way...

Same with mine a few weeks ago.
Nothing sitting in the box to prevent the mechanism from working, however.
I pulled gently with increasing pressure/force...she finally popped open w/o damage.
Mine had one of the two internal releasing arms busted which didn't allow full excursion on one of the two spring-loaded gizmos.
'86 Ford F150 locking mechanism is identical.
I swapped out the internal part I needed.
If you take it apart and find that one of the arms is broken, PM your name & address and I'll send you the one good arm and other internals I have left just in case the opposite internal releasing arm is broken on yours.
Be mindful if you disassemble - the spring may fly across the room. ;)
Good luck.
ps If you damage the receiver part of the lock (that which is screwed into your box) the '81 > '86 F150 has the identical receiver.

L4V said:
Same with mine a few weeks ago.
Nothing sitting in the box to prevent the mechanism from working, however.
I pulled gently with increasing pressure/force...she finally popped open w/o damage.
Mine had one of the two internal releasing arms busted which didn't allow full excursion on one of the two spring-loaded gizmos.
'86 Ford F150 locking mechanism is identical.
I swapped out the internal part I needed.
If you take it apart and find that one of the arms is broken, PM your name & address and I'll send you the one good arm and other internals I have left just in case the opposite internal releasing arm is broken on yours.
Be mindful if you disassemble - the spring may fly across the room. ;)
Good luck.
ps If you damage the receiver part of the lock (that which is screwed into your box) the '81 > '86 F150 has the identical receiver.

Thanks! I'll try tomorrow and see what happens.

Mike

Back