• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fluid for hydro....can I run atf+3???

Yes it will vib like crazy!

Can you pour it in the hole without spilling?

Actually NO!

ATF doesn't have the anti-foaming action of PS fluid. I also don't think it has the heat capabilities of PS fluid either. The stuff I was told to use is GM PS fluid. Lee also has some great stuff he sells for race applications, we know how fast you go it might just be better for you.

hinkley

damn......that was actually helpful mark!

was that tough?

how hard were you fighting off your urge to be useless?

good job! I'm so proud of you!

I echo everything Mark said, BUT

being the cheap SOB I am I still went ahead and ran ATF in the power steering system. My hydro is assist not full hydro. I ran ATF in the XJ as long as I can remember, one steering box, two pumps. I think both were due to normal wear and tear, big tires etc. NOT due to running ATF instead of PS fluid.

SO if you are a cheap or lazy SOB - run the ATF. I have also seen farm hydraulic fluid used, to no ill effect, but I wonder about heat transfer with that stuff.

So what you're saying is, you don't have a couple hundred gallons of hydro fluid layin' around that shop?????? Do all those machines in there run on water?

Back