• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New motor won't start

Stone Dragon

NAXJA Forum User
I have a brand new 4.0L I6, first time trying to fire. It turns over fine, but won't fire. I have spark, but it seem like it isn;t getting gas. I tried pouring a tad bit into the TB, and it backfire through it hard. Any ideas? Is it possible I have the dist. 180 out?

My first guess is the distributer is of but probably not a full 180. Make sure that #1 piston is TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke(both intake and exhaust valve will be closed on #1 cylinder). Pull the distributer back out and reset it so that the rotor lines up with the #1 terminal(should be around the 5 o'clock position) you will have to rotate the dist. slightly counterclockwise so that it will drop into the right tooth on the cam. If the oil pump drive keeps it from lining up just rotate the oil pump with a screw driver to get into position.

Hope that helps

A friend of mine just stopped by and we were able to get it at TDC on the comp. stroke (this is so hard to do by yourself), and it is a full 180 out.:doh: Lets put it in correctly and so if it will start. Thanks for responding.

SD

Back