• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flowmaster Dilemma?

XJSlater

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone else have a series 40 that sounds like an import car?
just got mine on and it wasn't as throaty is i thought it would be. Does it just need to break in?

My friend XJSlater....I had one on my 2000 XJ. I had some issue,s with it...but sounding like a "IMPORT" was not one of them ..I slipped on 2 1/2 exaust all the way from where it buttons up to the exaust . if fact a friend had some headers in front of his and he had a slight "V8 GURGLE".

How is yours set up?

I didn't get a cat back 2.5" system. That could be the problem. I retained the stock 2" pipe and had the muffler adapted to fit. And when i say import, i dont mean the annoying bumblebee sound but more of a wrx or something. It just isn't the low "V8 Gurgle" as you put it.

The sound won't change as it "breaks in". It's all steel construction. Old glass pack mufflers always changed tone as the fiberglass burned away. The diameter of the pipe will have some effect though, as others have stated. What you have now is what you get! Don't expect it to sound like a V-8, because it's not...(2 less cylinders)...

definatly wont change or "break in " its just some precisely angled steel in there to cancel some noise. nothing will change in sound unless it starts rusting from the inside out. My 4.0 has a borla header, new magnaflow cat (cat vs no cat made no sound or performance difference by the way), flow master 50 series (original not delta flow), and 2 1/2" from the header on back. Sounds pretty badass and "rumbly" to me.

XJSlater said:
I didn't get a cat back 2.5" system. That could be the problem. I retained the stock 2" pipe and had the muffler adapted to fit. And when i say import, i dont mean the annoying bumblebee sound but more of a wrx or something. It just isn't the low "V8 Gurgle" as you put it.

Why would it have a V8 gurgle when it isn't a V8?

I'm needing a new muffler myself. I saw a post a while back of Dr. Moab trying to rescue a bike rider stranded on the other side of the creek. Dr. Moab's Jeep sure sounded good. I wish I knew what kind of muffler he had on Stinky # 1.

Last edited:
Use Flowmaster 50 series part# 942452

Rustys have a 2.5 cat back with the 50 series that has a nice deep rumble at highway speeds. It also gives a bit more pep at low RPM's. Well,........ at least the but dyno think so.

Well i know its not going to have the same exact sound as a V8. But its just not as low as i wanted it. But i guess i shouldn't be complaining, it did make a difference in the sound and that was what i was looking for (even if its not the exact sound i had in mind)

my camaro has a 80 crossflow on it, sounds hasn't changed over time, but when it gets really hot (in town driving) the tone changes some.... gets a little louder when its hotter, dunno why though..... when its cool, like first start up, its pretty quiet, but idle around town for a while, it'll get louder...

get a super 40, a high flow cat and 2 1/2" pipe and it will sound like mine. click the link in my sig.

got high flow cat and super 40 from summit for about $130 and had a muffler shop install them and bend me up a 2 1/2" tail pipe for $80 so about $210 for the whole system.

A friend of mine runs pacesetter header (jet hot coated) into a 2.5" downpipe into a highflow Magnaflow cat with a turndown on it. No muffler. I think that setup sounds 100X better and makes the 4.0 throatier and "different". His floor was rhino'd and the interior was almost completely silent too.

The XJ sounds like a 4BT with that setup.

You want to really "RUMBLE"!

Step 1: Unbolt down pipe from header or factory manifold

Step 2: Put in Ear Plugs

Step 3: Start 'er up and put your foot on the floor

YEE HAW!!!

mgreen84 said:
You want to really "RUMBLE"!

Step 1: Unbolt down pipe from header or factory manifold

Step 2: Put in Ear Plugs

Step 3: Start 'er up and put your foot on the floor

YEE HAW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJax
A friend of mine runs pacesetter header (jet hot coated) into a 2.5" downpipe into a highflow Magnaflow cat with a turndown on it. No muffler. I think that setup sounds 100X better and makes the 4.0 throatier and "different". His floor was rhino'd and the interior was almost completely silent too.

The XJ sounds like a 4BT with that setup.

And neither one of them can figure out why their exhaust valves are burnt. :rolleyes:

Cox89XJ said:
I'm needing a new muffler myself. I saw a post a while back of Dr. Moab trying to rescue a bike rider stranded on the other side of the creek. Dr. Moab's Jeep sure sounded good. I wish I knew what kind of muffler he had on Stinky # 1.
Dr Moab and myself both have Spin Tech mufflers.

Back