• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How did you get your TRXus MTs to balance?

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Jeez these tires suck as far as being in round, guess thats a Swamper though it is a radial. I have had zero issues with wobble, DW or shimmys on my 99 XJ.....until now I straight up can't go over 45 mph or DW hits. It these tires 110% and this sucks.

Okay so the tire guy said Monday they could try some type of sand bag weights and see if they help, but I don't know. There is alot of weight on each tire right now and they are all at 28 psi. Any ideas on who to ge tthese tires to run smooth? Or am I stuck buying a different brand of tires for the front? KMs up front TRXus MT s in the back, might be a decent combo, lol.

ZachMan said:
Jeez these tires suck as far as being in round, guess thats a Swamper though it is a radial. I have had zero issues with wobble, DW or shimmys on my 99 XJ.....until now I straight up can't go over 45 mph or DW hits. It these tires 110% and this sucks.

Okay so the tire guy said Monday they could try some type of sand bag weights and see if they help, but I don't know. There is alot of weight on each tire right now and they are all at 28 psi. Any ideas on who to ge tthese tires to run smooth? Or am I stuck buying a different brand of tires for the front? KMs up front TRXus MT s in the back, might be a decent combo, lol.

tires dont cause death wobble, the vibration might be making what ever is causing it to act up. my boggers were out by over a pound on each side of the tire. never balanced them, never had any issues, even at very fast speeds

tealcherokee said:
tires dont cause death wobble, the vibration might be making what ever is causing it to act up. my boggers were out by over a pound on each side of the tire. never balanced them, never had any issues, even at very fast speeds

Me neighter, I run 1-ton steering with no stabilizer, bad tires and no issues, now I get these tires that have to have a ton of weight put on them and DW happens within minutes.

IntrepidXJ said:
never balanced mine. run them on beadlock wheels......and even though i don;t daily drive my XJ, i've had them up to 70MPH for extended periods of time without issues

Yeah I herd its hit or miss. Some will sya tires can't cause DW, but they are wrong I've had this happen before on my old XJ. Not hard to tell who the culprit is whe nyou drive perfectly fine get tires put on and now have DW the first time you drive the Jeep. I now know why I got a smokin deal on a set with 6k miles, lol.

Hey Dude,
Sorry to hear about your tire issues. I had a similar issue going from radial MT's to bias Swampers, cause I got "a good deal", and wound up buying the radial swampers and not having a problem. This was on a Samurai, not XJ. Do you have another set of wheels/tires to swap in, as an acid test? Possibly one of the tires not mounted right? or wheel not seating right? Have you swapped around the wheels/tires to different positions? Guess I'll continue to persue those Mickey Thompson MTZs......:viking:

Yeah Andy I put my old worn out 33" X-Terrains up front with the Swampers out back and no issues. I may just sell these and get some MTZs in 35" or run some 33" MTZs up front and TRXus out back haha. The guy that sold me these didn't have them long and sold the cheeeap so I understand now. He got some MTZs in fact to replace these.

ChuckstrPT said:
Hey Dude,
Sorry to hear about your tire issues. I had a similar issue going from radial MT's to bias Swampers, cause I got "a good deal", and wound up buying the radial swampers and not having a problem. This was on a Samurai, not XJ. Do you have another set of wheels/tires to swap in, as an acid test? Possibly one of the tires not mounted right? or wheel not seating right? Have you swapped around the wheels/tires to different positions? Guess I'll continue to persue those Mickey Thompson MTZs......:viking:

Last edited:
ZachMan said:
He got some MTZs in fact to replace these.
Are you kidding?? That's funny, in a sick kinda way....:sunshine:

ZachMan said:
Yeah I herd its hit or miss. Some will sya tires can't cause DW, but they are wrong I've had this happen before on my old XJ. Not hard to tell who the culprit is whe nyou drive perfectly fine get tires put on and now have DW the first time you drive the Jeep. I now know why I got a smokin deal on a set with 6k miles, lol.

tires can trigger DW....but they are not the cause of it. if you are truely having DW, there is another issue

IntrepidXJ said:
tires can trigger DW....but they are not the cause of it. if you are truely having DW, there is another issue

All I know is I didn't even have a hint of a shimmy and remeber I do not run a stabilizer so there were no cover ups. As soon as I got to 40 mph with these Swampers I had a shimmy all the way to violent shimmy when I got to 50 and could feel the DW coming (I know fro mthe past the DW will hit at 55-57mph) and letting of the gas didn't help had to get under 40 for it to stop. So I am saying if I never felt ANYTHING with my other tires, I doubt the tires arn't to blame when thats all thats changed. I mean I drove 150+ miles at 50-85 mph to get the tires and right back to the tire shop, tires get put on and shimmy like woah.

I am thinking its alignment though, it pulls good to the right and the tires seem to fight each other.

ChuckstrPT said:
Are you kidding?? That's funny, in a sick kinda way....:sunshine:

Nope, hey I got (4) TRXus with 85%+ tread and 1 with 99% tread forsale, hows $400? :kissyou:

SPOBI
Airsoft works...I used 9oz's in each of my 34" swamper ltb's and it runs way smoother than without weights.

Make sure your rims are not bent either.

Try the airsoft!! Then swap the rear to the front. You may just have one out of round tar!!!

The air soft is a WAY EASY fix!!!

OH and dont mix the TreXus with other brand tars sans maybe other swampers. Swampers tend to run tru to size others dont, mixing them will reak havoc on your Tcase!!!

CW

Alot of people are starting to use these, also cuts down on brake dust.
http://www.centramatic.com/
One of our local guys is getting together a group buy on them, joe at endlessmountain fabrications. Knocks a few bucks off...

The glory wagon said:
dont balance anything bigger than 30, not worth it, ive trial and errored on all sets of tires from 30 -34 with my tire machine at work, balancing doesnt matter

then you must suck at balancing tires. 30's are damn near common tires nowadays on most small factory SUV's. i've successfully balanced up to 33's on the tire machine at the dealership i worked at last. anything larger than 33's is VERY VERY VERY difficult to balance but can be done.

personally i would recommend the airsoft pellets on anything larger than 32's. just because it cuts back on alot of balancing hassle down the road. and i would highly recommend airsoft balancing on anything that goes off-road.

I wouldn't think it is tire balance either. I run 34" LTB Bias ply swampers. They aren't balance to perfection , and I run no sway bars with 5" of lift. I run it at about 70 freeway speed.The only vibrations is the lugs or if they are cold. No wobble at all. Is everything tight down there ? You may consider drop brackets. Spendy, but it gives you a lot more articulation and the front end acts much better.

check your hubs
when i got my 33's the drivers side hub went out
couldnt go above 45 w/o violent DW

jack up the front end and try and move the tire around

Back