• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear ratio?

WVUwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I need to get a new ring gear for my jeep since i broke mine but the tags are missing off both front and rear. From what I have figured out so far there were 3.55's in the high pinion one and 4.11's in the low pinion dana 30, is there any possibility that mine could be different? I have a 2000 with the 4.0 so any help would be appriciated. I tried to search but couldn't find anything helpfull

if its a stock axle, 4.10 gearing was really rare, pretty much just used with the 2.5L XJs....

Taken from JeepHorizons.com

Gearing

3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.

Ok, normally, 2.5L gets 4:10's from the factory, 4.0L 5 speed gets 3:07's, 4.0L auto gets 3:53's, if it has the towing package from the factory I think they get 3:73's... All that is out the window if the original person ordered it from scratch and wanted factory 4:10's with a limited slip in his 4.0/aw4.
Oh, in case I misunderstood you about what you think you have and the back ring gear is toast you need to have the same gears in both diffs.

Donuts slowing you down? LOL....

the front ring is the one that is toast, So are you saying since I have a auto, aw4, and limited slip that it should be 4.10's or was that just a special order thing, It's starting to look like i am just gonna have to take the cover off and count the ring gears teeth and then the pinions and figure it out that way.

WVUwheeler said:
the front ring is the one that is toast, So are you saying since I have a auto, aw4, and limited slip that it should be 4.10's or was that just a special order thing, It's starting to look like i am just gonna have to take the cover off and count the ring gears teeth and then the pinions and figure it out that way.
If it is 4:10's then it was either ordered that way or done afterwards. Pulling the front cover and counting is the best method though you can chalk mark the tires and pinion then spin it for a ballpark, turn the tire once and count how many times the pinion turns. It's tough call counting between 3:55 and 3:73's though :D

WVUwheeler said:
The # of teeth for the ring and pinion will be stamped on the ring gear following the part #. Divide them to get your ratio. Might be able to call a dealer and have them run your VIN#, assuming its still stock. 4.0 w/auto, my money would be on 3.55's though...

If you haven't pulled the cover, how do you know it's a busted ring gear? You need to replace the ring gear and the pinion as a set, btw.

I'm not sure it is the ring gear, but i was told that i need to replace it since the spider gears or it is shot. its been narrowed down to the a problem inside the front diff and i just order a aussie and want to get it in as soon as possible.

thanks for the links, I will have to check that out tommorow, I am hoping that once the cover is removed its just the spider gears and the aussie fixes the problem. if not i will be in the market for a ring and pinion.

Back