• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Wobble issue

4x4life05

NAXJA Forum User
To start i have a 94 xj with 3" RC lift. Last night I put on some 31's and I got the death wobble! I went and got the two front tires balanced and it was still there, the only thing I can think of that happened was that the tires ended up hitting the lower control arm for the first few times I turned. There was no problem before I put the bigger tires on. So I swapped those tires out and put on the old 235's and now I have a knock in the front and a slight wobble! I'm confused:confused: , could hitting the control arm give me the wobble like that? Or is it an angles issue, is so would an alignment fix this?

Your track bar should parallel your drag link.

A little front end shimmy is NOT death wobble. Death Wobble is VIOLENT UNCONTROLLED SHAKING of the front axle.

Death wobble can be caused by many things.

First, take your steering stabilizer off and throw it away. (that little shock thingy on the drag link) This only masks the issues with death wobble thus causing further wear and tear on parts. You DONT NEED IT.

Second, check your Track bar. If there is ANY play in it, (even 1/32nd of an inch) you need to tighten it, replace the bushings, or the frame mount end (whatever you have aftermarket or stock) You can also check the track bar by having a helper turn the wheels left to right while you observe it. The track bar should SOLIDLY attach the front axle to the frame. As I said above, the track bar should parallel the drag link, with the axle at ride height, at full stuff and full droop.

Third, check your steering linkage. Get under the Jeep and grab the drag link (the rod from the steering box to the passenger knuckle), try to shake it around, if it moves at the passenger knuckle you need to replace it. If it wiggles, or has slop at the pittman arm (steering box side) than you need to replace the tie rod end. Then grab the tie rod (part that connects the drag link to the drivers knuckle) and try to shake it and move it around. If these parts are loose, you need to replace your tie-rod ends. You can also observe this while you have a helper turn the wheels left and right while you observe it.

Fourth, check your ball joints and wheel bearings. Jack each wheel off the ground and try to "wiggle" it by grasping it at both top and bottom, and each side. If it wiggles, you need to replace either the ball joints or bearing. This can be easily checked by further removing the wheel,brake caliper, and brake disc. You should try to move the knuckle up and down or wobble it (ball joints), and then try to wiggle the hub/bearing assembly by grasping it by the flange that the wheel studs mount to. If the flange wiggles, you need to replace the hub/bearing assembly.

Fifth, tire balancing. An imbalanced tire can lead to death wobble.

Sixth, Your steering box. This can be checked by having a helper turn the wheel left and right. Watch for the engagement of the steering shaft and watch the pittman arm turn, if there is play in either, there is the problem. Also, your steering box may be coming apart from the frame. Watch for this too as your helper turns the wheel. You can also try to wiggle the steering box on the frame itself. Check for play at the frame mount and bolts, which may be broken off inside the frame, where you cant see.

Seventh, EXTREME control arm angles. Anything over 3.5 inches of lift on stock-length control arms can cause death wobble, due to the mounting of said arms and the stresses on them.

Eighth, control arms themselves. Check all the bushings at the frame mounts and axle mounts. This applies to both stock arms and aftermarket. If your bushings need replacing, then replace them. The control arms keep your caster angle right so as your other axle components do what they were designed to do. Worn out bushings will be either visually detected, or have a helper put your rig in 4LO and watch the front axle as they drive the vehicle back and forth. If the inital torque really moves the front axle (essentially the pinion) up and down you need to look into bushing or even control arm replacement. (OR a Long Arm kit for those over 3.5 inches on stock length control arms)

Ninth, shocks. Your shocks mushy, bent shafts, or leaking fluid? Time to replace them. Yup, even shocks can cause death wobble. Check the mounting points on the axle, and also at the shock tower. If these are worn out, than replace them.

Thanks, I went and got the tires checked and one of the weights had fallen off, or rather was hanging off... That's why it made that noise and that is also why I had the wobble thanks, just glad that was all it was. Thanks for your help. :D

KarlVP said:
A little front end shimmy is NOT death wobble. Death Wobble is VIOLENT UNCONTROLLED SHAKING of the front axle.

One of my favorite posts ever said something like "I have a little bit of death wobble between 45 and 50".

If I could find that post and poster, it would be my sig line.

i have it so bad - i did some long arms and they moved the axle slighly forwar - i am going to one tons but still the 30 that is on there now is shacking bad- what had happened is by track bar moved with my long and and was no longer parallel to the axle and steering which eventually caused my steering box bolts to loosen and break

i am also making a new bracket for now and getting an alignment - it is so scary i am not even driving it right now until i get these done

i actually am driving my moms car and have sudden horror attacks when i hit a bump or turn - yeesh

Back