• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum Canister(not a dumb question)

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
Will a round vacuum canister out of a late model XJ work on a 92 XJ that used to have the pill shaped canister?

sorry if this has been covered before, all the search comes up with is stupid questions like "DO I NEED THIS?!?!?! ITS FUNNY LOOKING LOL"

The thing is if you have a bunch of accessories like cruise control...it may not have enough volume to work. The oval shaped one also has more bungs sticking out, but I guess you could always splice those to make that part work. I'd just be worried that the little one might not hold enough vacuum for you. The little round ones were used in early XJs too, just not Laredos or Limiteds that had cruise and such.

yeah this one is a Laredo, I believe. The badges were removed by the previous owner, but it's all chromed out and has cruise(unlike my old sport) and has the interior pockets on the insides of the doors and the silver dash bezel and the headlight delay. It's like unnecessairly fancy for my liking.

anyways, the stock one that I pulled out and broke only had one input though, what do you mean by bungs sticking out?

He is refering to the little bits of "tube" sticking off of the vac. bottle that the hoses go on. If your cruise is not working, then you can go ahead and use the "ball" style, since the only vacumn you will need will be going to the HVAC lines (heater valve/ flapper assy). I tossed the big bottle on my Laredo, and use the small one with no bad side effects.

The more vacuum actuated items you have the more volume you need in a vacuum reservour for them to work reliably and immediately. Like mentioned, the bigger vacuum reservoirs (cylinder or pill shaped) are for vehicles with cruise control, the smaller ones (sphere or ball shaped) are for vehicle with NO cruise control, just the vacuum activated HVAC duct doors and heater core valve that every XJ has.

My '95 has NO cruise control, but does have the Cylinder (Pill) shaped reservoir. Maybe at some point they just switched to the bigger reservoir, instead of carrying two different types. Having more volume than you need doesn't hurt.

I had a little Plymouth Sundance that the HVAC ducts would NOT always change over after pressing the buttons, I'd have to lift off the accelerator pedal (increase vacuum in the motor) to get the HVAC duct doors to actually move. I could NOT find any sign of a vacuum leak, but it didn't have a vacuum reservoir (cheap economy car, every cost was minimized in production), but probably needed one.

Back