• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can a steering box catastrophically fail?

xj4life

NAXJA Forum User
The steering box on my XJ is making a popping noise when the wheel is yawed back and forth. I've checked everything down stream and its all good as far as I can tell. Am I going to be tooling down the trail, them bam, no steering?

Could be the steering box, or something else. What ever it is you need heed the warning message and fix it before it breaks in the worst possbile place and worst possible time. be glad you got a warning message.

Not an XJ, but my Son got no warning at all when the rack & oinion in his dodge intrepid sheared and left him on the freeway at 60 mph with zero steering control.

Ecomike said:
Could be the steering box, or something else. What ever it is you need heed the warning message and fix it before it breaks in the worst possbile place and worst possible time. be glad you got a warning message.

Not an XJ, but my Son got no warning at all when the rack & oinion in his dodge intrepid sheared and left him on the freeway at 60 mph with zero steering control.

its a trailer queen so i'm not worried about it letting go at speed. i check all the normal stuff tonight, i'll got over it once more in the morning when i can see what i'm doing.

Check to make sure the track bar is tight. That is usually the popping noise you get from turning the wheel back and forth.

I have only seen a box fail when it comes off the frame rail.

Rarely is it the steering box. If it is, you will feel a lot of the pop in the steering wheel. Most commonly I have seen the track bar bracket moving or a bad control arm bushing.

More common failure are the three mounting bolts. Look around the bolt head to see if there is any shiny area indicating loose bolts. Tighten the bolts. If they are loose, you should anticipate failure. Carry spare bolts. Plate both sides of unibody after carefully inspecting for cracks. This can happen in 2wd as well as in 4wd on the trail.

Well, anything can suffer a catastrophic failure, its just how likely is it to happen and its extremely unlikely with a steering box. They design them to be stronger because of how serious it would be if they did fail, notice the steering and suspension bolts all have some sort of locking feature, either cotter keys or interference bolts, etc. The rest of the vehicle doesn't have that.

As well, popping noise often come from somewhere else in the suspension or drivetrain, like mentioned, U-Joints, or the ball joints in the suspension or the steering (tie-rods). I'd inspect and experiment (putting the front up on jack stands with the weight off) trying to isolate exactly what was making that sound and then repair it.

Ecomike said:
I had, well it was my wife's when she was my fiance`, a chevy citation (GM X-Car) that the rack&pinion failed in. It gave us plenty of warning, with increased force in a dead spot and some sticking in spots in turns. When it became slightly dangerous, i.e. in the middle of turn it was a little scary as you had to strain to force the steering wheel thru a sticking spot, we got a junkyard rack and replaced it.

I have heard the Chrysler LH platform had this steering defect. My Father in Law had a Chrysler Concord (same vehicle) and I've looked at the steering setup, totally different than any car I have seen before. Not only did the move all the steering components to the top of the engine compartment, with the tie-rods attaching to the top of the McPherson Strut (just under the spring perch), NOT at the steering knuckle like very other car does it. Also, the rack and pinion was even freaky; the tie-rods did NOT attach to the end of the rack, the center of the rack moved back and forth with the tie-rods bolting in there.
chrysler_lh_steering_defects.jpg

Throw in, the typical Dealership, sending people away with valid warranty claims, by claiming its normal, this seems to have compounded to be a big problem with these vehicles.

It seems the weird setup increases the stress on the steering more than thought and the rack&pinions wear out prematurely.

I guess some of the scary incidents come from the bolts shearing off with no warning on the tie-rod ends. Again, greater stress's than thought cause the catastrophic failure of the bolts in tie-rods, not the steering rack itself, but can have the same result. When a rack&pinion wears out prematurely and leaves a driver stranded, you can put some responsibility on the owner/dealers/maintainers for NOT correcting the problem when they had symptoms; but tie-rod bolts shearing off, that definitely falls under designer and you may never have gotten a warning or symptoms of such.

There has been several cases of accidents from the LH platform steering failing. I have never been able to find a cause other than generic steering. I'd like to know if the steering has ever failed because both sides of the steering had tie-rod bolts fail at the same time? That would be a truly catastrophic case that would kill people without any warning.

Last edited:
I did what I thought was a complete internet safety/lemon search before I let my son buy the 1994 Dodge Indtrepid. We had it inspected, serviced and it drove like a brand new car with 179,000 miles on for three months. Three months later something suddenly and catestophically sheared in the steering control system and the car steered itself into the concrete baracade at 60 mph on the freeway.

One tire, drivers side is pointed straight with the the steering wheel centered, while the pasanger wheel is fixed at a maximum right turn. The passenger side of the rack and pinion jumped and moved to where the car could only make a sharp right turn no mater what you did with the steering wheel. From what I have read Chrysler has done band aid patch jobs on an inherently unsafe design and replaced parts that were failing with heavier stronger parts so that all the excess force now ends up inside the rack and pinion assembly which is where it fails now, sheering parts inside the R & P assembly itself suddenly and catestrophically. People have died as a result and Chrysler and the feds just keep sweeping it under the rugs, and have been sweeping it under the rugs since 1994. They are still using it on many of the Chrysler products. Just gald they don't use it on jeeps. here is where I found the real story:

http://www.dodgechryslersteeringproblems.com/

Rick Anderson said:
Well, anything can suffer a catastrophic failure, its just how likely is it to happen and its extremely unlikely with a steering box. They design them to be stronger because of how serious it would be if they did fail, notice the steering and suspension bolts all have some sort of locking feature, either cotter keys or interference bolts, etc. The rest of the vehicle doesn't have that.

As well, popping noise often come from somewhere else in the suspension or drivetrain, like mentioned, U-Joints, or the ball joints in the suspension or the steering (tie-rods). I'd inspect and experiment (putting the front up on jack stands with the weight off) trying to isolate exactly what was making that sound and then repair it.

I had, well it was my wife's when she was my fiance`, a chevy citation (GM X-Car) that the rack&pinion failed in. It gave us plenty of warning, with increased force in a dead spot and some sticking in spots in turns. When it became slightly dangerous, i.e. in the middle of turn it was a little scary as you had to strain to force the steering wheel thru a sticking spot, we got a junkyard rack and replaced it.

I have heard the Chrysler LH platform had this steering defect. My Father in Law had a Chrysler Concord (same vehicle) and I've looked at the steering setup, totally different than any car I have seen before. Not only did the move all the steering components to the top of the engine compartment, with the tie-rods attaching to the top of the McPherson Strut (just under the spring perch), NOT at the steering knuckle like very other car does it. Also, the rack and pinion was even freaky; the tie-rods did NOT attach to the end of the rack, the center of the rack moved back and forth with the tie-rods bolting in there.
chrysler_lh_steering_defects.jpg

Throw in, the typical Dealership, sending people away with valid warranty claims, by claiming its normal, this seems to have compounded to be a big problem with these vehicles.

It seems the weird setup increases the stress on the steering more than thought and the rack&pinions wear out prematurely.

I guess some of the scary incidents come from the bolts shearing off with no warning on the tie-rod ends. Again, greater stress's than thought cause the catastrophic failure of the bolts in tie-rods, not the steering rack itself, but can have the same result. When a rack&pinion wears out prematurely and leaves a driver stranded, you can put some responsibility on the owner/dealers/maintainers for NOT correcting the problem when they had symptoms; but tie-rod bolts shearing off, that definitely falls under designer and you may never have gotten a warning or symptoms of such.

There has been several cases of accidents from the LH platform steering failing. I have never been able to find a cause other than generic steering. I'd like to know if the steering has ever failed because both sides of the steering had tie-rod bolts fail at the same time? That would be a truly catastrophic case that would kill people without any warning.

Back