• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTF??? P0740 TCC Enable Solenoid Circuit Electrical

Badcop

NAXJA Forum User
Ok first off, not a noob, second off didnt want to half to ask...

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT! Wtf is this code, where is it how do i fix it.

2000 XJ 4.0/AW4

Started with wouldnt move, cleaned/fixed NSS now drives fine but wont find neutral or reverse, everything is now Drive.

Let me tell you the lack of info Google had to offer on this one, I guess after talking to a comrade at the stealer this is a way uncommon issue and is almost unheard of.

If you have a solution please let me know I am tottaly stumped and getting more and more pissed on this.

Ok. Here is what my FSM says for that code:
PO740M: Torque converter clutch, No RPM drop at Lockup
Relationship between the engine and vehichle speeds indicated failure of torque convertor lock-up system (TCC/PTU solenoid).

Shoot. Unfortunately there are about 60 pages missing from my FSM and that section covers what your problem is. Sorry cant be more help.

Maybe a shot TC?

It could be the torque converter, but with the other issues it is probably the solenoid or wiring in the valve body.

Check the condition of the wires running from the pcm to the transmission. Make sure they are not rubbing on the driveshaft, or getting burnt on the exhaust.

The easiest way to check it would be to check it with a scan tool and check the inputs/outputs for the transmission are normal, and diagnose from there.

How many miles are on the Jeep? What does the transmission fluid look like? When is the last time it was changed? Unless the fluid is burnt, I wouldn't suspect a torque converter.

It could be simply that the solenoid went bad. It doesn't happen very often as it is protected in the valve body, lubricated and cooled by the transmission fluid.

The torque converter clutch circuit has no effect on neutral/reverse, leading me to believe there is a wiring problem. It sounds like there are more circuits that have been damaged, the PCM just hasn't noticed them.

Badcop said:
Started with wouldnt move, cleaned/fixed NSS now drives fine but wont find neutral or reverse, everything is now Drive.

So, despite what the shifter is moved to, it tries to go forward? Have you check the shift cable? Regardless of the NSS and even the computer, putting the shifter in reverse or neutral should work.

How many miles are on the Jeep? What does the transmission fluid look like? When is the last time it was changed? Unless the fluid is burnt, I wouldn't suspect a torque converter.[\quote]

Fluid was fine, changed it anyway, made no change in operation. ODO says 125k ish

So, despite what the shifter is moved to, it tries to go forward? Have you check the shift cable? Regardless of the NSS and even the computer, putting the shifter in reverse or neutral should work.[\quote]

Cables are also fine, both in the cab shift linkage and underneath at the trannie.

Have also Checked all wiring, appears to be GTG, cleaned, regreased re attached them all problem continues.

Back