• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker suggestions

Blkae McKinlay

NAXJA Forum User
First off, everyone that has been helping me in my various threads regarding broken spider gears and lockers thank you much.
Now,
I was originally planning on an aussie for my front Dana 30 but saw some killer deals on ebay for various lockers. Just wondering if anybody had any suggestions on what locker I should get that I can get for around 350 or less.
Saw some aussie, lock-right powertrax, and even a Detoit Trutrac. Let me know, trying to keep funds down so doubtful for an ARB or OX

The aussie, powertrax and lock-rite are the same type, a lunchbox locker. They fit inside of your existing open differential carrier. No real difference between them. they turn your differential into an automatic locker, on when both tires are turning the same speed, off when one tire is turning faster, as in cornering. Much like a full detroit or detroit soft locker (same thing, soft locker is a newer version of a full detroit that makes less ratching noise when disconnected).
The true-trac is a limited slip differential. not the same as a lunchbox locker. For offroad use a lunchbox is preferable, for mostly street driving a L.S. is probably better.

I'm getting to the same point of building up my axles (d30 front, 8.8 rear).

So for a somewhat daily driver (or a rig that gets driven to the trail) a luchbox locker would pretty much suck up front?

What about the rear, does a lunchbox style locker there have ill effects on on-road manners (other than what I've seen about ice and snow)?

Or one more option, would it make sense to just lock one axle (probably front) and leave the rear open or possibly limited slip?

I've got a No-slip by Powertrax locker in the rear of my DD with no ill effects even with NE winter driving you will learn to drive it with a light foot when slippery, now from what I understand a locker in the front when slippery will push like a mother giving birth to triplets

xalexjx said:
an aussie locker is only locked in when you are in 4wd, if your in 2wd on pavement you wont even know its there

So you could run an aussie up front without any daily ill effects until you put it in 4WD. With a 231 I wouldn't be putting in in 4WD on pavement.

There are those winter trips to Reno :D

That's probably the only thing that is keeping me from being 100% on getting an aussie up front.

I know us because we have to drive to the snow. I paid my dues with enough New England winters.

Back